Tube combo for playing in a band at $800 or less, new or used.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jacob M, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    I currently play guitar, but I've been playing my friends basses alot recently, and have decided to stop playing guitar in my current band and start playing bass (in the band, which was sans a bassist). So, I need an amp that's loud enough to keep up with a Marshall DSL401 and a drummer who plays very loud. I want a quality amp, and preferably a tube one. I'm looking to spedn around $800 or less, new or used, for a quality bass combo. Of course, I'll try anything out before I buy it, but I'm just looking for some very broad reccomendations of what's good, what I should bother looking into, what I should hunt down etc.

I'm not into the really bright sounds, so I'm not looking for anything with a tweeter. I also don't need any built in effects, but I wouldn't be opposed to things like reverb and possibly distortion built into the amp. I don't really have a specific tone in mind, so if you could just go nuts and reccomend everything that seems to be in my range, that'd be great so I could go hunt down lots of different amps and try them out.

The bass is a 4-string, Warmoth J-Bass with a Black Korina body, Maple neck, Ebony fretboard, and Seymour Duncan vintage jazz bridge and vintage p neck. I'll be using D'addario nickle plated, round-wound, 45 strings.
  2. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Look for a Mesa Buster Bass 200. They make it in a combo with a 1x15, probably the best sounding tube combo you'll find.
  3. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Yorkville xs400t is about 800 dollars, tube head. Great sounding amp. Gets very loud too.. 300 watts w/ 70 watt tweeter I believe.
  4. fine amp. less than $600. Solid State with a 12AX7A tube in preamp. Still a solid state amp with tweeter, but a nice one. They make a 15 version too. 400 watts realized only with ext. cab.
  5. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Ditto on the Mesa Boogie Buster! Bass 200 combo.

If it's a grunty, organic, growly kind of presence you're after, look for a used one of these. Really great sounding with a Precision-type bass. :bassist:

I had one for awhile, before realizing that I needed something different for the bands I'm in. :meh: Too bad.

The beasty can get very loud as is (into internal 8 ohm 15 + tweeter), so I imagine that it'll be even louder stacked on top of another 1 x 15 extension cab and pushed at 4 ohms! :D
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Almost noone makes tube bass combos any more, so you will probably have to buy a used one. Most of these will be 30-50 watts which will probably not be loud enough. The Mesa Bass Buster everyone mentioned in the above posts, the rare Fender Studio Bass and a rare and very expensive Matchless combo are the only tube bass combos I've heard of over 100 watts (all are rated at 200 watts).

Ampeg and Pignose both still make 100 watt tube bass combos; Ampeg's is way over your budget and the Pignose is rare, I have never seen one in a store or on stage which is pretty odd considering it's an all tube bass amp selling for only $535 and I see all the OTHER Pignose amps all the time.

My advice: go solid state.

By the way, bass amps never come with reverb, it just muddies up the sound.