Tube Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spyingcracker, Dec 28, 2004.

1. spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    Does anyone make any smallish (about 100W) tube combo amps for bass? I'm not in the market for one at the moment, but want to start looking, so I know how much to save up for. I know there are plenty of these for guitar, but I don't think I've ever seen one for bass. Please let me know where to find one.
  2. CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    flite sound sells one but i don't know much about it.
  3. Bron-Y-AurStomp

Bron-Y-AurStomp Lazy

Nov 30, 2003
    Plainfield, IL
    I was just reading in the newest BP magazine that Nady's coming out with a 100 watt all tube bass combo in January. I couldn't find anything else about it through searching here or on google, but it definitely looks interesting. It's called the Nady BTA-100. There isn't anything on their website last I checked about it, and when I posted about it, nobody left a reply, so who knows? If you have the Jan. 2005 issue of BP, it's on page 88, that's the only place I've seen it.
  4. Pignose makes one, also (I'm not kidding), and price hovers around 5 bills....I don't have any idea on sound quality.

5. Yorkville makes some, they're essentially their heads and cabs put together. The XS400T is a good one, 2x10 cab with 400 watt head. It's about 1000$ CDN, which is around 750$ American, a great price, and it sounds very good. It isn't pure tube, it's a hybrid. You can blend in how much tube you want.
  6. samson also is selling that Chinese 100 tube amp. It looks identical to the pignose version.

The sonic cord/flite sound combo went from 999 to 1495 or something like that.
  7. spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    Thanks for the replies, guys. That Nady sounds like it's worth checking out, so does the Yorkville.
  8. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    If you're aiming for the vintage vibe and you've got REALLY deep pockets, don't forget about this one:

Ampeg B-15R
  9. spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    I saw that one, but I regretfully don't have the required pocket depth.
  10. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Personally I like the Mesa Walkabout Scout. It is a great combo. While it doesn't have an all tube amp, it does have a tube preamp and has a nice mellow tube sound. It has a few more watts than you're looking for (300 vs 100), but it is extremely versatile (removable amp if you want to put it on some larger cabs for bigger venues) and it is very portable (only about 50 lbs). Good luck with your search...
  11. spyingcracker

May 27, 2004
    Perfect! Just what I'm looking for.The extra power won't hurt, either. Not too expensive.