1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tube Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RomancintheTone, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Does ANYONE know of a high powered, lightweight combo that has a tube preamp? It seems simple to me, but I cant seem to find one worth buying.

While I was searching, I got to thinking. How AWESOME would it be if they put the new Little Mark Tube, or better yet the Little Mark Tube 800 into their CMD Combo's? That head into a 1 x 15" Combo would make my life complete.

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Genz Benz Shuttle 12T or Shuttle 210T

That's alll I can think of that would be lightweight and have decent power.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    SWR SuperRedhead and Black Beauty (RedHead is a 2-10 and the Black Beauty is a 1-15). I think the Eden Metro (designed by the same guy) has a tube pre as well.

4. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    SWR Spellbinder Blue
    Mesa Walkabout Scout

Try a search on "tube combo."

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Mesa Walkabout Scout, Venture, and I think the new Carbine has a 2x12 combo pack as well.

7. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I wouldn't call the red head a light weight amp. Isn't it over 90 pounds?

I personally love the Mesa WA Scout.

8. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I love the Walkabout too, and it does pretty much fit the conditions the OP was asking for "high powered, lightweight combo that has a tube preamp".

But, the Venture only gets 2 outta three on this one ... high-powered and tube pre-amp. While I also love my Venture 2x12 (and totally dig the combo format), the Venture is a bruiser that weighs in at around 120lbs. Does kick some serious butt though!

Just sayin' :cool:

Not sure what the older 2x10 version weigh, but probably a little less.

as others have already posted the Genz 6.0 T combos are hybrids, and are even lighter than the Walkabout. I don't dig the Genz tube pre tone, almost like its not really there, particularly compared to the Mesa hybrids. But, that's entirely a matter or personal taste only.

9. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I tried the Genz Benz and did'nt like them... I have a Mesa Venture 2x10 combo and a Scout 15.. Both are awesome.. The Venture is up for sale, but it's definately no lightweight..

10. Thanks guys! I look into the Venture because my priorities go to tone over weight, and I'm not the biggest fan of Genz-Benz tone (no offense GB lovers). I think I can deal with the weight if it's a combo and it can belt out the sound. Thanks again, you guys!

11. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

If you don't mind the weight, definately check out the Mesa Venture combos.. The one I have for sale is a 2x10 and I'm sure the 2x12 sounds just as killer...

12. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    just saying....ampeg ba115hpt...

not that i support ampeg, but its a great combo...

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just as a point of reference, amps with only preamp tubes should be referred to as "hybrids," not tube amps. The term "tube amp" should only be used when referring to an amp that uses tubes for the power amp. One preamp tube does not a tube amp make.

14. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    JimmyM, the voice of tube amp purity :D

I may even change my sig to this .. Jimmy willing