Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube Compression on Bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Oct 26, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Do tube amps for bass "compress"? I have heard of tube compression, but usually in reference to guitar stuff.

2. Yes.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    PBG is the guy to really give you the detailed mathematecal answer to this.

however, just to clarify. Amps with one or more tubes in the preamp but a SS power amp section aren't strictly tube amps. Nor with those tubes offer much in the way of compression. Amps with tube power sections are a different animal indeed. Depending upon the design, (which can vary widely), those power tubes will offer a certain amount of compression, which also depends upon how hard you drive the amp.

In any event, the compression from tube amps won't generally be the same as you'd get from a dedicated compressor (tube or SS). Those units are specifically designed to provide compression and offer parameters you can set to fine tune the compression and/or limiting. Tueb amps offer more "inadvertant" compression.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Thanks for the clarification, I know it was a simple question.

I use an all tube head (mesa bass 400) and just wanted to be correct when I explained some of the reasons that I liked the sound of it. I usually play just below breakup point and love that compression/saturated tone effect that it has.