Tube DI suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NKBassman, Sep 1, 2009.

1. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Can anybody recommend a good tube DI similar to the discontinued Ampeg SVTDI?

I'm looking for something that can add a bit of tube warmth to my Sansamp RBI for recording. I've used a friend's SVTDI before with much success, and would like something similar, but not too expensive. Preferably with both 'effected' and 'dry' outputs for further signal mixing.

2. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    jimmy where you at?

3. Hi.

Have You tried the DBX, ART etc. single tube budget pre's which act as a DI's also?

I do have both the SVTDI and the DBX but haven't compared them side by side.

Regards
    Sam

4. 1kinal

1kinal Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    I use the (also discontinued) Aguilar DB900 and love it! They can be found used for around $300.

5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I bought one of those cheapie Art tube DI's.. ($29) and it definitely sounded it. My Behringer mixer board into my computer sounded better IMO (and warmer).

6. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    +1

7. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Really? Considering the op's already running an RBI?

8. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    I'm honestly wondering if maybe you might need to find a different pre than the RBI? It's 'supposed' to be delivering the "tube warmth" that you're missing. Although, I can definitely see how adding a real tube stage after it would help you get there. (there's no perfect substitute for the real thing!, imo)

9. Well, for real tube tone in a DI, nothing beats the REDDI.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Ya, REDDI, Demeter, Low End True Voice, Summit, a couple others...good ones that really make a difference aren't cheap.

11. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I have no experience or knowledge w/ the REDDI.........however, Demeter or the disct. Aguilar would get my vote.....I would lean to the Demeter

12. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Cool, thanks guys, I'll look into some of these.

13. naturalkinds

naturalkinds

Jan 22, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    What about a tube mic preamplifier with a DI, like the Summit Audio 2BA? At least then you'll have a more versatile unit, and they sound pretty darn warm.

14. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Noisy? I use The Brick as a preamp all the time in professional studios with no noise issues whatsoever! It's one of the best bang-for-the-buck real tube pre/di's on the market.

15. +1 Mine is not noisy at all and sounds incredible for the money.

16. scotch, et al,...this was based upon the reviews. From memory, it had something to do w/no gain control....?

(In any regard, if it is not noisey, it's got high marks for tone....I may buy one eventually.... .)

Jimbob

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021