Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube experts: 12AT7? Is this a preamp tube?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Jun 12, 2002.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I pulled the tube out of my A.R.T. Levelar compressor and it says it's a Philips 12AT7. Is this the same as a 12AX7 preamp tube?

The reason I pulled it because the unit was starting to get noisy. Is there a tube you can recommend for ultra-low noise? Thanks!

2. No. The 12AT7 is a lower gain tube than the 12AX7.

If you need a low-noise version of a 12AX7, try to find a 7025. Fender specified them in a lot of blackface amps. They're really tough to find these days, though.

Ronzo

3. 12AT7 industrial version is 6201. Look for some of those on eBay. I've got some with gold pins!

If you can't find the 6201's, just get an assortment of NOS or used good 12AT7's on eBay and try them to find the best ones. They're about $10-$15 each I'd guess.

Chris

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Instead of taking a gamble on getting a noisy tube on eBay, I'd recommend that you buy a guaranteed good one from Lord Valve...aka Fat Willie of NBS Electronics in Denver.

He's a highly opinionated fellow (to say the least) but he knows what he's talking about, his prices are fair and his quality control measures are admirable. He is very, very picky about the tubes that he sells.

Call him at (303) 778-1156 from 1:30 pm mountain time until late (he says somewhere between 9 pm and 1 am) or send an email to him at LORD_VALVE@prodigy.net

He can also help you with finding the right tube for the results that you're looking for.

NCI, just a satisfied (and amused) customer.

5. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
  6. jplb70

jplb70

Nov 1, 2001
    My guitar player had his Mesa Boogie Simil Class ninety retubed by Lord Valve. Realy made a difference in the sound eveything was properly biased and the thing sounds great. Dude realy knows his stuff.

7. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Haven't heard back from Lord Valve yet. Would a Groove Tubes 12AT7 that American Musical Supply sells be sufficient? They also carry a Sovtek 12AX7/7025(well, which one is it????). Thanks for all the input so far!

8. 7025 is a low-noise version of the 12AX7. Fender specified them in blackface amps.

Ronzo