Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube goodness (finally got some speakers for it)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by James Hart, Aug 5, 2003.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hey All y'all!

As some of you may know, I scored a sweet early 70's Sunn tube head this past March from patrickj. I've been using it randomly at home thru the speaker of my Ashdown Combo. My current state of employment won't allow for me to buy the Kappa 12 loaded tolex covered 4x12 Avatar I was planning to use with it.

Anyway....

I remembered last night that 7 years ago I stored away a set of solid mahogany cabineted 1x6 + 1x12 'Allied' Hi-Fi speakers that my old man bought himself in the mid 60's and gave to me in the 80's
    They've been in the in-law's crawl space.

:cool:

I'm gonna gut them, baffle, load with some Weber speakers (or whatever... still researching). They measure 25"x14"x14"

They sound alright for now at medium volume. I'll snap a picture or 2 later.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    [​IMG]

batteries died in the camera. i'll get a better shot later.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well James, it's not my Peavey 4x12, but it sure does look NICE!! Hope it sounds good for ya.

Next just load it up with some JBLs...or Eminences and it'll kill!

Enjoy it!

_Ray_

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    thankfully :rolleyes: how many drivers you running on now ;)

Any advice on driver choice?

5. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Very nice, James! Beats the **** out of my rig(hi-fi stereo :rolleyes: ) I bet that thing's gonna shake the floor once you get the new speakers installed. :bassist:

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Hey now, I have three loaded in there! Just cos two were bad so I replaced one doesn't allow making-fun-of :p.

Have you ever considered Black Widows?

_Ray_

P.S. mine has 2xB.W.s and 1xEminence, and I like the sound of both companies. It'll sonn be 2 of each.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    thanks guys! looks like I've got the room to make each cabinet a 1x10 + 1x12 with them sealed from each other and a rear port each. But the existing drivers are 8" and 12" so I might see about getting an apropriate 8" driver instead.