Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube Guitar Power Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Apr 29, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I take it it is perfectly possible to run any bass pre amp into a guitar tube power amp with say 20w or so of power, and you'd have a cool low wattage tube practice amp?

Just a thought.

Not gonna sound like poo is it :bassist:

Cheers

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    should be fine! I'm looking at Peavey and Carvin tube power amps myself.

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Interesting.. I should have grabbed that Mesa 400 poweramp on ebay a while back for about $1200..

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    It'll sound awesome, as long as you like the sound of natural power tube overdrive.

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    What about Vise Versa?

Say... a guitar player plugged into a V-4BH or something of the sort? I swear I've heard of this being used for guitar stage rigs, but I havent heard it and dont have any clues to how it would sound.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I play my guitars through my bass gear. You should hear my strat through a 400 watt tube head and a pair of boutique bass cabinets :bassist:

I actually gigged a cover band for a summer on guitar using my AMP BH-260 through a BagEnd S12 & S15! made a killer guitar rig :smug:

7. youve heard of it becuase its been done lol. a lot of guitar player will use bass gear to get better lows, and a lot od bass cabs have a flatter response than guitar cabs.

why do you think that the fender bassman was called the BASSman. as far as i know it was a bass amp that bassists just didnt like. guitarests dug it and now its one of the most famous amps of all time

8. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I have a 1967 ampeg jet guitar amp i play through at home, very low volumes, what is left of my rig is at drummers house. Sounds great with fretless.

I have often thought about running a speaker cable to my avatar 2X12 to see how it sounds at higher volumes, for grins.

9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I really would like to try an Ashdown Fallen Angel 180watt tube head just to see how it would sound. Through a 215 it should rock pretty hard.

Oh to have money to play with just to see...eh...hear :crying:...... :D

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    should be fine and dandy. you'll probably run out of headroom and distort pretty fast with a low wattage tube amp. the only othet thing i can think of is that the transformers on guitar tube amps can be smaller than BG units which can result in less low end. but for practice you might like it.

11. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim

Apr 20, 2005
    I play a 5 string bass, through a Mesa Boogie DC-3 combo guitar amp. I swapped the speaker with a bass speaker, and it sounds great. I was going to play an outdoor concert, using the line out, but they had a big Hartke rig (4 10's & 1 15), for me to use.

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Anyone used the Mesa Strategy 400 tube guitar amp for bass on here? What's that like?

13. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The Strategy 400 is really nothing more than tube power. It's not designed toward guitar specifically. I've even heard of some people using it as a home stereo amp. I use the 500, which is the same as the 400, except that it has an extra switching feature and bass boost. I've had nothing but good experiences with my 500.
    Back on topic, I'd be really interested in picking up one of the older Peavey 50/50 tube power amps or a low-powered Boogie or something to use for practice and small gigs. I just love the sound of tubes, and think this would be an easy and effective way to keep that sound with low volumes and lighter weights.