1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tube head owners (400+,SVT,ect)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tajue17, Mar 4, 2008.

1. should I use a power conditioner with my 400+,,,, never did but never really played it alot but I decided to run it hard with this next project and wondering if I should get the furman (or whats recommended) to go with it....

another thing is this amp gets HOTTTTTTT! so should the head be mounted on top in the rack so it doesn't cook everything above it--> you tube players must know what I mean?

thanks again.. T

2. I have a Furman with mine. You should definitely get one with any amp just to protect everything. As far as mounting on the top rack, I wouldn't. Just make sure there is plenty of ventilation between the amp and other componants.

3. I dont use a power conditioner.

I've got an SVT-II, and yes, tube amps get hot. Those arent pretty little lights in there, those are heater elements (the name thermionic valve gives away the fact that temperature is important ;) )

I wouldnt mount it at the top, that is going to make your rack less stable, it just makes more sense to mount it at the bottom. But, if you have other gear in your rack (i dont), leave at least one rack unit space above the amp. You could also add a server cooler if you wanted (you can get 1U fan arrays), but it is probably over kill.

Either way, from the responses i think you'll get, you'll probably end up not getting a power conditioner, so, more space :)

4. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Definitely leave some room for heat to escape above the amp. Either leave 1 rack space above the amp, or have it in the top spot on the rack, if there's a few inches between the top of the rack, and the bottom of the surround.

Do a search on power conditioners, you'll find some good threads. The basic idea is that they do the same as a surge strip, but cost more. So if you want to power a few things in a rack, with a rack mounted surge strip, then go for it, but it's not going to condition the power. Real power conditioners do clean up the power, but cost a good bit, probably more than your amp.

5. as far as brand and model is there a favorite?

6. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    It is a waste of money. Every Mesa amp has a surge suppresor built in.

7. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    If there were a way to measure, I'm sure a 1970's Ampeg SVT would come in 1st.

I've had one of those, a 1990's SVT, a Mesa 400+, a Pignose B-100VH, and an SVT-2 Pro. The 2 Pro is my favorite.

8. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    +1. Unless you find it convenient to have everything in you rack all wired up with a single switch, don't waste your money. Modern amps have all the protection you need built into them. If you want to increase your protection/performance, get a voltage regulator...but a "power conditioner" won't do much but make you a couple hundred dollars poorer. [Having said that, I always use them because I find them convenient. ;)]

9. well thats cool because I don't want all the rackstuff if Idon't need it...

10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I'll +1 you! :D

11. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    +1

12. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    I'm running a 400+ in a rack, and it doesn't get too hot at all. I always leave the fan on HI though; makes me feel better :] But yeah my rack is pretty cramped, I plan on updating to a 12-space, shockmount ATA case with casters as soon as possible, and leaving 1U open above the Mesa. My flimsy little Gator case just doesn't give me that peace-of-mind.

13. I use a voltage regulator, but that's because the electric flow over here its really really bad... I don't know if that's the same for everyone, but it helps, just to turn it on.