Tube Head Rattle

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sidecar666, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    I have a Mesa 400+ head and the tubes rattle when I put it on top of my cabinet and play. I don't ever recall this happening before. I've had the head for about 6 years. Does anyone know if maybe some tubes could be loose or something? Has anyone evr come across this before? Maybe it's always done that and I just never noticed. It's bad enough that I'm afraid it's ruining something inside the head. Any ideas?
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Mine does it too! :)

I've only had it for a few weeks now but...I don't notice it when I'm practicing with the band, and I'll let you know if I notice it when onstage.

I brought the amp home from our practice room with my SB112 and have it set up in my apartment...and play at low volume and that forest of tubes does rattle a bit. It doesn't sound like anythings loose or bad, just that the vibration from the cab is moving the tube 'innards' a bit...sorta like a lightbulb when y' shake it.

I have a feeling that it always goes on, but you can't hear it when at real volume and not polite apartment volume.
  3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I used to put a beach towel underneath my M-Pulse 600 until I got a rack for it. It's probably rattling because of the cab, try to prop it on something that absorbs vibrations.
  4. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Wouldn't all the ratttling be bad for the tubes, shortening the life or something?

I'd put something under it (ie. Towel or foam) or put it in a rack.
  5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I use a Gramma pad under mine. Or, I don't put the head on the cab.
  6. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Mine does it too, I put a big old blanket under it and it no longer rattles. But one of those Gramma pads would probably be perfect!
  7. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

to me one of the major advantages of having a seperate head is getting the electronics away from the vibrations of a cab - I would do what it took to take advantage of that.
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA