Tube head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JayAmel, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Ampeg SVT-2 Pro

0 vote(s)
  2. Fender Bassman 300

1 vote(s)
  3. Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+

6 vote(s)
  4. other (please comment)

2 vote(s)
  1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France

Within a few weeks or so, I know I'll have to get a big rig (though I'll keep my cute B-100R).

First, I'd like to choose the head.

Several things are sure for me :

- The ideal amp would be an old SVT, but they are quite impossible to find now (I mean here in France, in good condition, etc.),

- I want an all-tube head,

- I'm mostly into the Geddy-like tone, but I also want to be able to get a clear tone if I wish,

- I also play in a Beatles tribute band,

- My basses are a Rickenbacker 4003, a Fender Precision Bass, and soon I will add a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass,

- I want to have an inboard EQ, not only simple tone controls.

I have basically narrowed my selection to 3 heads, but despite of what is said above, I stay open to any "other" suggestion, as long they are compliant with what I'm after.

Also, there are brands I don't want at all, cause their products don't seem to be for me : Hartke, GK, etc.

Your votes, suggestions and comments, are welcome. Thanks in advance !
  2. The heads that you've listed all seem to be good choices, but I have a question for you. Have you given any thought to what cabinets you'll be using? This could play a role in your final choice. How efficient will the cabinets be? What impedance will your cabinet(s) be? For example, the Mesa will drive 2, 4 or 8 Ohms. The Ampeg will drive 2 or 4 Ohms only. The Fender specs don't say anything other than that there is an impedance switch on the amp, although hopefully someone can provide details.
  3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I have planned to manage so that there is a 4 ohm speaker load...
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    HIWATT DR201 or DR405.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The Trace-Elliot V8 is an insider tip, if you can find one used.
  6. I *LOVE* my Trace V8. It's an exceptional head if you can find one.
  7. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    it's only a 100W amp, but I love my Ampeg SVT-100. It's not anywhere close to a SVT-CL circuitwise though. It's electronically the bastard brother of a Marshall JCM800 2203.
  8. Vintage SVT (1969-1979) but MTI era early 80's)or "Skunkworks" (SLM 1987)are great. I would try to find an SVT II(not the II Pro)if you can.
    I have tried the SUNN 300T(Fender 300T same amp)and thought it sounded great for the money. Maybe get the Fender and use a Bass Pod with the SVT setting if you want the Geddy sound. The Rickenbacker is a step in the right direction for his sound although he used the Jazz on most of their recordings.
  9. There is what looks like a "Skunkworks" Ampeg SVT on Ebay in Switzerland for CEF 2500(about $2500 Canadian Dollars). All the information is in German so I don't know much about the head but it looks MINT!
  10. Talk about rare! There is also a Fender Rumble Bass head on Ebay in Germany. 300W all tube, the power amp section is almost exactly like a vintage svt(2-12BH7, 6-6550's).