Tube Heads...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hurezeanu, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Hurezeanu

May 13, 2005
    I find that I really enjoy the warmth of all an tube head... there are enough heads out there that have a tube pre-amp and a solid/mosfet power amp, but I wanna know wht other good all tube amps are out there? I'm only aware of Ampeg and Trace Elliot...

any help would be appreciated
  2. Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    Also the Marshall VBA400 all tube head...

or there is the option of secondhand and vintage... :)
  3. If your looking for a tube head, definatly go second hand id say :)
  4. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Mesa Boogie Bass 400+!!!!!!!!!!!! Ultimate in cool! It's like an SVT on steroids.
  5. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    And it weighs enough that YOU will need to be on steroids to move it :)
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    In addition to the amp mentioned above, don't forget:

Eden VT-300
    Aguilar DB 359
    Sunn/Fender 300T
    Peavey Classic 400
    Traynor YBA200
    Pignose B-100VH

And keep in mind that Ampeg and Trace Elliot had multiple versions, each, of all-tube bass heads.
  7. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Yeah my Boogie 400+ weighs 89lbs. Ouch. Sometimes good tone hurts.
  8. Mesa/Boogie D-180(half the size/weight/power of a 400+), Peavey Alphabass(ghetto D-180). My Alphabass is at BassNorthWest on consignment(hint, hint). ;)
  9. What the hell kind of rack do you have it in for it to be 89lbs??

The amp itself is only about 45, a lightweight as tube amps go.
  10. must be a hell of a rack, my SVT II in its rack is only about 85 lbs, and its a heavier amp than the Mesa 400+ it seems!
  11. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That is a great amp... before I got my 400+ I used a Boogie M-180 (the power section of the D-180) with a tube preamp. Great sound/feel. The D-180s are often overlooked, as are the Boogie Busters.
  12. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

What are you talking about? 44lbs. without a box.
  13. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I've owned both the SVT2 pro and the 400+. Neither was terribly heavy. Different sound, I liked both of them but couldn't afford to keep both. Parted with the Ampeg, now the 400+ is dying. :(

Before you buy used, be SURE you have an experienced tech local to you. I've had the 400+ to 2 techs and gotten "It needs tubes, buy some from us" (tried new tubes-not the problem-this from the shop that said they could fix a vintage delay and never even tried, after a month sending it back and telling me "buy a new, modern delay FROM US") and also "there's nothing wrong with it" (after losing several screws and thus earning what he charged me). Believe me, there's something wrong when a 400+ has to have gain and master set above 7 to give a satisfying volume for unaccompanied practice... being incapable of band volume levels!

Also had an Aguilar DB359. Sounded nice at low volumes, but up loud it distorted and lost that nice sound. Also had a Peavey Classic 400, now that amp weighs 2345 tons. Sounds good though. Seemed to me the distortion its clean channel could get when pushed was nicer and more Ampeg like than its distortion channel. I think I might not have had the best tubes for it in mine, and then again there's that "no actual tech within 50 miles" thing.
  14. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

email me. I know a few techs here (in Mass) that cxan help you.
    Don't give up on that amp. They are built well and seldom have issues. It probably is something simple.
  15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Come now.... it ain't a pound over 1900 tons and you know it ;)
    (seriously... it's at least 125lbs in it's flight case! :eek: )

Yeah, the dirty channel is a little buzzy but the clean channel has a nice bite to it when you step on it. Not that the Buzz isn't cool for what it is. I've actually taken to it... almost like my old guitarists "Fuzzface" but is usable on the B. It's fun :smug:

Thanks again! :bassist: (hope you get the 400+ squared away, it sounds like the tone you are after!)
  16. kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    i've had the svt and the mesa boogie 400+....the 400+ is me amp i've ever heard ...also it's easy to change tubes in it and no bias to fiddle with like the svt as long as you stick with mesa tubes which a lot of people don't do but they sound great so why's just may cost a little more but if that's an issue just buy some off of ebay....they are for sell all of the time :bassist:
  17. Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    My hiwatt weighs 53Lbs... I struggle to get it off the cabs at the end of the gig :)
  18. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Trace Elliot V-type :bassist:

Or a Mesa 400+
  19. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I know you said you knew Trace Elliot tube amps but most people overlook the Valve series (Twin, Quatra, Hexa) of amps. They are somewhere in the middle tonewise between the V-type and the SMX series of heads. Its definately more hi-fi compared to the V-type or Ampeg SVT amps.

BTW, I love my QutraValve and just thought I should mention them. :D