1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tube Help Please (i know this has been posted a ton of times)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Limlam, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Limlam

Limlam

Jun 9, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I just got a sunn 300t, when it arrived one of the tubes was smashed, the two pairs that left were a GT6550 and EH pair. I want to replace all the tubes in the amplifier. Im pretty new to bass tube amps with this being my first 'real' amp. Ive been trying to read up on which tubes to replace them with but im getting pretty lost to be honest.
    I want something with alot of bottom end growl that can take a beating.
    Ive read about the whole KT88 vs 6550 argument but with being new to buying tubes all these brands sovtek, tung sol, NOS etc dont mean much to me, so a point in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

thanks
    Liam

2. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    If you want a set of tubes that are very well made, stand up to abuse, and have a very clean output, look into the JJ KT88.

3. EUROTUBES.COM sell JJ KT88's work beautifully in the Fender/sunn 300t Good price & service!! I bought a sextet for mine. ALL GOOD!!!!

4. Limlam

Limlam

Jun 9, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    yeah i spent many hours reading through the old threads on here and elsewhere on the web and settled for the JJ KT88's look forward to hearing them.

5. Good one- tell us what U think of 'em!

6. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    BbbyBld - will the JJ KT88's also work in the Peavey Classic 400???

7. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    In my opinion, that is THE tube to use in the Classic 400 other than stock. That's what we use in our service department. They are really well made. I've really been impressed with the quality of JJ tubes in general over the past two years.

The Classic 400 was designed around the Chinese 6550, which had lower plate resistance than regular "true" 6550s. If you try to replace the stock tubes, you won't get as much output power. The JJ KT88 will get you closest to rated power.

Many people on this board swear by the Sovtek 6550s in the 400. They have strange clipping qualities in my opinion (probably due to impedance mismatch), and the amp will only put out about 250 watts with them.

8. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    I put Tung-Sol in my Sunn 300T and am very happy! Sounds way better than the EH's that were in it. I have owned some JJ KT88's as well that I put in a YBA-200. It sounded considereably better than the Sovteks that came with it. I honestly cant tell you which tube sounded better to me between the JJ and the Tung-Sol without hearing the JJ's again, but I can tell you I am very satisfied with the Tung-Sol in my Sunn.

9. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    Sorry to hijack the thread - thanks for the great and well respected advice. Much appreciated - I'm going to order some now.

Dale.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021