Tube Mic Pre...well for pre!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MikeBass, Mar 22, 2005.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Hey all!
    I was messin' around today with my GT Ditto DI (tube DI-freakin' awesome, has NOS Telefunkin tubes BTW) right into a power amp to see if it could drive a power amp to "gig" levels.
    It goes from unity gain with 30db of tube gain, so I wondered if it could do it.
    Well it does, and boy-o-boy does it sound stinkin' nice.
    FWI I used the following:
    Stewart 1.2 power amp & Aguilar GS112 cabs
    Carver PM 900 power amp & Epifani 310 UL cab
    F Bass BN5 fretted
    F Bass BNF5 fretless

My thought was, do any of you guys use a mic pre as your front end on your live rig??
    I run my EQ flat 98% of the time anyway so crazy EQ settings for me don't apply. I usually do my adjusting from the bass in small amounts if any.
    Plus, you can find the Ditto for $300-ish, and it's a killer DI.
    I'm thinking of trying the GT Brick. That way I will have a little more control over the levels and such.
    Thoughts, comments, dirty remarks?!?!?!?!
  2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I've been thinking for a while about getting a Mellenia TD-1 pre and going into a poweramp. It can be used in solidstate or in tube modes and has two fully parametric eq's for the little bit of tweaking that I'd need. I'm finding that the least amount of circuitry between my bass and my cab the better. I'm hoping that as preamps get smaller that we'll also begin to see small poweramps that can be carried in a shoulder bag.
  3. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    I've been using a Millenia Origin STT-1 with my Stewart 2.1 and an Accugroove El Whappo.... the sound is more incredible than any bass preamp I've ever tried.
  4. doctec

Mar 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    I used a Presonus Eureka as a bass preamp for a while and it sounded quite good. There's an Instrument input on the front panel. The compressor is really fast and sounds great with a bass. I was using it to drive a Carver power amp and a pair of JBL 15's and the sound was generally excellent.

The only reason I'm not using it today is because I found myself wanting a little more high-frequency boost than the Eureka could provide -- those 15's rolled off the highs quite a bit.

Now if you're normally running your amp eq flat, the Eureka could be a good match for you. They run ~$500 new -- probably less on ebay.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    A bottomfeeder mic-pre, the ART Tube Channel makes a great 'stealth' bass pre. Mine is doing duty as a mic pre, or a general purpose pre in my studio these days. The VTBP-201 has taken over bass pre duties for me.
  6. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have an Avalon vt737p, TL Audio vp 2051, Manley VoxBox, Universal Audio 6176 and 610 mic pre's. all of which I have giiged with....but probably willnot again, The caveat, for me, is the size, weight and fragility of high quality mic pres. Yes, they sound amazing, and use them for studio work quite a bit, but I worry about the "rigors of the road" as far as regular gigging goes (and these things are expensive!).
    Another point is the pristine quality of these units may be a bit overkill for most acosutically challenged venues (and audiences).

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This is exactly why I'm looking at the Mellenia TD-1 as a rig pre. It's made to be practically indistructable.
  8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have no doubt that the Origin is as good as it gets. It's definately overkill for my needs though. Great preamp.
  9. prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    I have an STT-1 and a TD-1!! The TD-1 is amazing,but the STT-1 is simply off-the-hook!!! I haven't found a pre-amp that can touch either of them.

10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Mike, I think you already know my answer to this, U5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm still sorry I missed the big test, When I left Low Down today Gordy was still pondering the Yamaha "Gospel Special". I guess if it's up on the sight hi didn't bite! I wonder if that guy has any F Basses he'd like to trade for a schecter?
  11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    John, I'm looking at getting the TD-1 and a Glockenklang 4ohm 212. Can you reccommend a good poweramp to go along with these? Thanks.

Sorry for the side bar.
  12. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.

Yeah...U5....You like that huh?!?!....Would never guess.....sounded best when used on the "flat" setting. Other than that, I'm not sure what the big deal is.
    Let it go dude, you like it. Great. It's not the end all for bass. Neither is your Sadowsky. For you it is, but at least sit back and let it speak for itself and don't cram it down peoples mouth.
    I love my cheap azz Eden TT330. Sounds great. But I don't in almost every conversation tell who ever may listen that it's the best thing going. If asked about what choice of gear I like/dig then I bring it up.
    Folks here may like it. I tried it. Nothing. Tried yours. Still nothing. The Aguilar pre in LDS, smokes it IMO.....again IMO.
    My stupid little TT330, well........for me.....again IMO.
    Ask me I'll tell ya, but I won't throw it at you every time we talk.
    I repsect that you dig it. I respect that others may dig it. But Steve, c'mon dude, everything you own may light up your world and it should, but don't discount what others use. A simple comment like "I have the best sounding fretless in the city" or "the U5 sounds better than any other pre-amp" may seem simple, but it turns people off.
    But how about do your hands sound????? Trust me, you don't need the U5. ;)

I love the vt737 and agree, it's a bit to fragile for standard gigging. But the nice thing about the GT Ditto and the GT Brick is that they are built like tanks so you could take them on the road.
    I'm glad to hear that some of you have used to great success a pre that is off the beaten path so to speak.
    I just needed someone else to affirm my thoughts ;)
  13. prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    My first choice would be a Glockenklang Bugatti 400. My second choice would be a Lab Gruppen.

14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i too jumped on the Eureka bandwagon, and cant get off!

wonderfully musical and vastly flexible EQ section. the compressor is quite nice to have onboard. and also, cool that you can change the order of the pre vs. compressor for even more tonal options. and i like the fact that its quite inexpensive brand new, and waay cheaper than a few other basscentric pre's.

also built like a tank, and seems like it'd handle the abuse of the road in the proper rack / shock mount. very unlike my Presonus Firepod which seems a tad flimsy, and the knobs tho identical, feel like they'd snap right off. :meh:

the only concern is that if you're using an already colored cab like my Epifani 2x10UL, EQ tweaking can seem rather tame. but if you're using a more neutral sounding cab like an EA, Accugroove, or my favorite, an Acme, its like the swiss army of pre's.

as for the U5 and Sadowsky, i like 'em! what's so wrong about 'em?
  15. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.

Nothing really, just a bit of ribbing to burk.
    I'm a Sadowsky lover. Can't think of not owing at least one.
    The U5...........
  16. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    It depends on the input sensitivity of your power amp. I used a Ditto Box for a while and it was a little weak for the QSC PLX without turning the gain up almost all the way. But with the Stewart 1.2 it had plenty of poop turned up about one quarter.
  17. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.

Yeah, it gave it up pretty serious with both the Stewart and my Carver. Turned up about 1/2 on the gain to reach "gig" level.
    I'm gonna give it a go this weekend to see how it performs on the gig. I'll take my normal pre as well just for a back-up, but I think it may work out nice.
  18. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The Carver's input sensitivity is internally configurable for either 0.775vrms or 1.5v (1.5vrms is the factory setting). What is your's set for, do you know?

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Dude, you have enough power and head room with those amps to raise the Titanic.
  20. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you obviously have not seen TomB's crazy rigs...