Tube mic preamp or DI (ala sansamp)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pattyløve, Aug 24, 2009.

1. pattyløve

pattyløve

Apr 7, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering, D'addario
    Im pretty happy with my SS amp but i always feel like it could go with a little bit 'more'

What do you think would be better for acheiving this, a small tube pre or a DI box like a sansamp copy or something.
    Im a little strapped for cash and just wondering which would make the better cheap investment.

2. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    Subscribed. I have been looking for something to run before my very clean Traynor db200 combo.

3. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    There are a few threads on this that you could search. IIRC the consensus was that those little mic preamps don't do a whole lot for bass although I've heard good things about the ART Tube PAC and especially their old Tube Channel. None of these are going to give you any appreciable overdrive, just some "warmth." Have you checked out Basstasters.com?

4. pattyløve

pattyløve

Apr 7, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Not really looking for overdrive.. i have an overdrive pedal.
    Just something to put in front of my amp that will make it sound 'better' (for lack of a better word)

Squittolo likes this.
  5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Try a FET booster. There are many makes at all kinds of price points. For an example, check out the Fulltone Fat Boost, though that one may cost more than you'd like.

6. tobie

tobie

Nov 26, 2008
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    [​IMG]

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Munji, you missed this bit:

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oops. So have a bake sale.

10. pattyløve

pattyløve

Apr 7, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeahh well thats the thing, i was thinking of something like this or the behringer tech21 copies (acoustic adi21 or bass bdi21) because i hear good things about all three and wondering which one i should try.

11. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I just yesterday picked up the Art Tube Pac for $100. It adds some tubey roundness and character to the chain of my Steinberger (EMG's) into a newer Traynor DB200 combo. The compression (tube) feature is a bonus and sounds good in small doses. It's a well made unit with an internal power supply (no wall wart!). My search is over for now... Try one from a retailer with a good return policy. You may find it works for you also.

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I wouldn't personally recommend a SansAmp, but that's my own thing...obviously a lot of people love them. But, to my ears, it's not a very natural sounding box and is best used "in place of", not "in addition to" a preamp. Of course this is IMO / IME.

How flexible are you in swapping out your SS preamp? The reason I ask is because I've had the same complaint in the past and found, at least with my current cab, a class "A" mic preamp works particularly well. I'm not advocating you go out and spend thousands on an Avalon VT-737sp, as there are a number of less expensive tube mic-preamps on the market you might find suit your needs.

The thing about class "A" that I've found is while they've got tube input sections, the tube-ness does wonders for giving that tube fatness without adding distortion (I've got a Fulltone BassDrive for that application). There are a lot of products out there people seem to rave about, such as Summit Audio, Presonus, etc., you might find suit your needs very well. But, since they're going to require a cash outlay, if you were going this route, you might consider selling / trading your existing preamp for one of those.

13. The Behringer BDI21 is irreplaceable in my rig. And lawd knows I've tried...but I haven't found anything that sounds as good. Best $30 pedal out there.

14. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    [​IMG]

I had the same problem, my ampeg svt-4 just sounded to 'flat'. I put this little baby before it, and never looked back. I can dial in a nice warm tube jazz type sound. I can also get a grity more Tim Commerford/Geddy Lee type sounds out of it. and everything in between. I highly recommend it, or something just like it.

15. the SABDDI is really the best most cost effective way to get a pretty wide range of usable tones - they've been around forever so i imagine there is a huge used market for them. i've also heard the "B" word's version is comparable . . .

personally I got a para-driver a few years back and hated it. chalked up the BDDI as hype. a friend got me one a few months ago and I'm not quite sure how i've lived w/o it. i'll be using it for a long time to come . . .

16. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    The sansamp pedals will color your tone immensely. If you're looking for something very different from your current tone, try that. If you're just looking for a little warmth, I'd try some of those small tube mic pre's or something. Look for something used or order a few of them from some place with a good return policy.

17. pattyløve

pattyløve

Apr 7, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeahh, thanks i might do that.
    Like i said, i like my amps tone and therefore i dont want to be changing it and having something i can dial different tones with. Just something that will be a bit more with no adjustment.

So I might try some mic pres but if anyone has any other input, id love to know. Thanks for all the input so far!

18. pattyløve

pattyløve

Apr 7, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for this advice too!
    Looks like i might go down the tube mic preamp road

19. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    The one drawback to the mic pre route is that you won't be able to quickly bypass it. If you suddenly wanted your boring old clean tone you'd have to swap wires around as opposed to something like the Submarine pedal which has a bypass switch. This probably doesn't matter though. :)

20. tobie

tobie

Nov 26, 2008
    The MIC200 has a 'Neutral' setting for this purpose. Cool, hey?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021