tube mic preamps (presonus,art,behringer...)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panazza, Apr 8, 2005.

1. panazza

Nov 23, 2003

I was thinking of getting a tube mic preamp (such as presonus tube pre, or ART tube MP, or behringer mic100...) to get a bit of tube overdrive....

does anyone know if it's a good idea or if I should look elsewhere?

I have a sansamp BDDI but it's a bit noisy and tone-coloring.... I would like to use the preamp before my head to get a slightly overdriven sound without altering too much the tone of the head (it's an EDEN WT550...)

2. I don't know if it's a good idea or not, but it's one I, too, had recently. I managed to pick up a secondhand Art PAC tube preamp/tube compressor. Haven't plugged it in yet as it's the wrong voltage (115v. I need 230v). I've already checked it out and the conversion should be as simple as soldering a couple of wires (I'm techy, so don't try this at home otherwise). Hopefully I'll know if it was worthwhile in a day or two. :)

Anyway, here's why I'm trying this.

First, I like the idea of being able to take my sound (if I find it this way) on the road in my gig bag. Just plug into the power amp in/effects return of just about any amp, or direct to the desk.

Second, I play active basses, so how much offboard tone shaping do I really need? That's kind of rhetorical as I intend to find out. I'm thinking I should get to hear my bass with only a tube or two colouring the sound.

And lastly, there's a heck of a lot of tube pres out there at not a lot of money if you can grab them secondhand. I'm hoping to get a few that are pleasing to my ears, but different sounding from each other. I'm fully prepared to find a couple (most?) don't really live up to what I want, but I'll buy and try anyway. I doubt I'll bother with the really cheap stuff like [B Word] and friends. Next up for me will probably be the Presonus.

FWIW, I decided NOT to buy a WT-550 so I could give this a try. I'll be plugging into an American DJ V2000 power amp bridged into a pair of Eden D112XLTs. I play mostly classic rock and blues with bands, and Rollins Band stuff when no one is around.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    tons of cats use mic preamps (tube or no) in their live rigs. if it sounds good to you, go for it. most mic preamps are used to good effect with bass in the studio, and most of them are built like tanks.
  4. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I am not sure if these mic pre's would provide any distortion.

Someone told me that the Bellari MP100(or something) is not a toob preamp, i.e., has proper voltage for tube and tube is more an integral part of the circuit as opposed to an add on.
  5. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Ive found for overdrive (and a good di on the whole) the Presouns Tube Pre is fantastic. Others here have had similar results. Definately check that out. :)