1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TUBE MICRO/MINI BASS AMP?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TanglefooT1959, Mar 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I'm looking for a tube driven micro/mini head that puts out a decent sound to compete with 2 x guitarists + drummer. We play songs by The Eagles, Elvis, Mavericks etc so not looking for hard rock drive or excessive volume.

Just want a clean sound only, no distortion or overdriven sound. Does such a beast exist? I've looked at a HOTONE THUNDERBASS head but it is not quite loud enough without sounding over-driven.

I usually DI into the PA but occasionally just use my amp so this needs to be loud enough to operate alone.

Suggestions?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not exactly a micro head (although it's only like 14 lbs) but my SVT 7 Pro rocks for this sort of thing. Seems like overkill at 1000w, but been my experience that the more wattage you have, the better micros sound, even at low volumes.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah I can't think of a true micro I would put in that position. The SVT7 or maybe the Mesa Walkabout run with good cabs could get it done. I run my Walkabout with two Mesa 15" cabs and can't turn it above 1 with the gain just before breakup. Literally 1.5 will shake the walls. I have used it outdoors with plenty of volume.

4. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    It only has a tube pre-amp, but the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 should cover your genre just fine.

5. Tim Schmidt was playing Trace SMX with a single 12AX7 doing half of bugger all warning up with The Eagles. Plenty of pedals and micro amps do just warmer than that without messing with tubes.

6. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    GK Fusion 500

AstroSonic likes this.