1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tube Novice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TeeZeeMee90, Oct 8, 2013.

1. TeeZeeMee90

TeeZeeMee90

Jan 22, 2013
    North AL
    I dont know a whole lot about the bass/tube world and have a pretty generic question:

I have been looking around and it seems like a lot of bass tube amp heads go for a very pretty penny...and I am curious if I could run my bass into a normal guitar amp head (tube of course) and then the amp into a bass cabinet. I have a Vox Night Train and Orange Mini Terror, and am just curious if they could be put to use more than they actually are :rolleyes:

Any kind of info/schooling would be nice.

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yes, but both of those heads are rated fairly low as far as wattage so they probably won't be all that loud. Totally fine if you want to play in your bedroom or something like that, but it probably wouldn't cut it for a live situation or even jamming.

Bass frequencies take a decent amount of power to get loud.

3. Also keep in mind that a tube guitar amp will not have the frequency response of an equally powered tube bass amp. Bass amps need bigger output iron to deliver the low frequencies that guitar amps never see. Also depends on what kind of tone you're going for. I know plenty that have used guitar amps for bass and they sound ok for their style but it wouldn't do it for me as I like loud, crisp, and solid bottom end to handle a low B well.