1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tube OD/Distortion: EHX Muff'n(Hot Tubes?) or Maxon 881

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassin' 'Round, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Want OD/Distortion. I play an active jazz w/3-band onboard pre into 300 tube watts & a 210/212. I play, mainly, 60's-mid 80's rock.

I really think I want a tube OD/Dist box to go w/my tube amp & the ones I'm considering strongest are the EHX English Muff'n(maybe Hot Tubes, & how different are these really?) or a Maxon 881.

What do you guys think? Other strong tube choices?

I guess one more thing, is there any real reason to go w/a non-tube OD/Dist other than the price on most non-tube units is (maybe) lower?

Appreciate any/all comments.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    With a $200 apiece price tag, I don't think that you'll find much overall experience on them. I persoanlly have only had the opportunity to try the English Muff'n and LOVED IT! I felt that the tubes really helped with the overdrive tone without losing bass response. The pedal could get a mellow overdrive, and all out hell, without losing bass. Keep in mind I had all the EQ set flat for all my tests and soundclips.

Soundclips are available at www.tplyons.com/sounds/

cleanpbass.wav is the '78 Precision with Chromes, run clean
    cleanmuffn.wav is the P through the Muff'n at a low OD setting
    dirtymuffn.wav is the P through the Muff'n at a high OD setting
    bigmuff.wav is the P through a stock USA Big Muff Pi for comparison