Tube OD Pedal (no SVT tone)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by boilingTheDead, Jan 21, 2019.

1. boilingTheDead

boilingTheDead

Oct 15, 2018
    I'm looking for a pedal that gives me a front end overdriven tubeamp tone for my transistor amp. Not so much that classic SVT growl, maybe a little more distorted going into direction of the Overdrive channel of a Super Bassman 500T or simular. (also not looking for something modern sounding like a lot of darkglass pedals for example)

+for affordable
    +for physical preamp tube in it
    +for cleanblend or EQ
    +for available in europe

thank all of you in advance, really love this community

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  2. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    What is your budget?

There are some solid tube OD's like valvecasters that are relatively cheap, as well as some nicer tube preamps for 200-300$+ like the Two Notes pedals. Two Notes makes a Bass preamp actually.

Not sure what the best affordable option would be. If you're on a budget it might be best to skip real tubes for now and get a nice responsive/tube like OD as some can sound pretty close for a much lower price.

The EHX Muff'n might be worth checking out:

Crystalman85 likes this.
  3. birminghambass likes this.
  4. Milchlingr

Milchlingr

Nov 22, 2017
    Baltimore, MD
    JHS Moonshine V2 might be up your alley. Vintage sounding with a very nice growl, has a clean blend, can be found reasonably priced. I had one as an always on pedal for about a year but eventually replaced it with a VT Bass sansamp for the DI.

5. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
  6. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    IMG_2175.PNG You want a killer tone with a real 12ax7 tube in it? You'll want this, and they are very affordable when they pop up used. It doesn't have a clean blend, but doesn't need one either...

7. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    hintz likes this.
  8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The ehx hot wax would be a good choice for a tube overdrive pedal that doesn't emulate an svt kind of sound. this pedal has 2 sounds. there's the hot tubes(which is a bright aggressive tube sound) and there's the crayon(which has a warm but heavy overdrive sound). you use one overdrive channel or use them both to get a heavy distortion sound. I use to own this pedal and it is a great sounding overdrive pedal. best of all, it has a blend control along with a 2-band eq to sculpt your overdrive sound. I personally would describe this pedal as the poor man's darkglass vintage deluxe. I am thinking about buying it once again. I definitely would recommend this pedal if you want a tube overdrive pedal that's not ampeg emulated.

birminghambass likes this.
  9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    That's an awesome pedal. the hot wax is another awesome od pedal to own.

Sunset Shalom likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021