Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube Officianados: Date This SVT!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndyMan, Aug 23, 2001.

1. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    Hey guys!!!

Here is a jpg of the SVT head I'm picking up tomorrow. My best attempts to date it, per the Unofficial Ampeg Page, is '68-75 era. Probably a Magnovox early 70's???

The seller says he doesn't know what tubes are in it, but the previous owner was a tube amp freak from Chi Town who "put different tubes in it to make it really loud," and its "too much ampfor him" LOL!

Wadda think for the price of 8 bills? Also what's your best guess at a date?

Also, I'm gonna run this sucka through 2 Bag End s-15 D's...thoughts???

Thanks,
    Andy Russ

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    8 bones sounds about right, Andy. Look at the back to determine whether it's Magnavox era or not. If it just says, "Linden, NJ," it's pre-Magnavox (good, IMO).

I gotta 70 that is simply great. The 15's will be fine but I really believe you need the Ampeg 810, preferably same vintage as the head, to really make this thing kick. The 15's should be fat, however. Assume they're 8ohms. This amp loves a 4 ohm load but can easily drive 2, also.

3. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I belive the most telling information for SVT's is at the rear on a metal plate. Even so it looks early enough to be a keeper.

I would suggest having the capacitors and the grid resistors replaced due to there age. It's time to learn about vacume tubes, which brands are good and not so good, where to buy, etc.

In any event Psycho Bass Guy is your man in the know.

Remember to bend those knees when lifting heavy objects.

4. what's good/bad about the magnavox years?

5. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    I believe that with the black writing on the control panel that it is an magnavox era one. I think the pre-magnavox ones were with blue writing. I am pretty sure it is between 72-75. Thats what the ampeg book says with the black control graphics. I don't know what tubes he would have changed. It would of had 6550's in it which is the correct tube. Maybe kt90's which are a ei tube that is supposed to sound great in an svt but are fairly pricey. Good luck. I think that people prefer to get the original pre magnavox amp cause they are the first before ampeg was owned by a big corporation and sort of thrown in the back of there plant. There are only a couple years of premagnavox ones available so most of them around are not. Anyway, have fun. That sounds like an ok price.