1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tube or solid state?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by errop123, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. errop123

errop123

Apr 12, 2011
    So i have a ampeg svt v9, and i sounds beautiful but it seems like it costs me 400 dollars a year getting it retubed and biased. Not to mention it ways a ton. So should i keep it or sell it and get a solid state amp?

2. Why not have both in one? Less tubes, florida warm!

GBE Series | GENZ BENZ

I"m sure some can chime in with another hybrid!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    you retube every year? that's crazy talk! only retube when it needs it, and only replace the tubes that are bad. unless you play in a doom band and you play turned up to 11 for hours at a time, there's no need to retube that often.

4. Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass errop123.

$400 a year for retubing?

Unless the amp You have has a bad OT and/or incorrect load impedance, that's at least 250 hellishly loud gigs per year. Even if You get around $50 per gig, that should be well enough to finance the re-tubing cost.

As an tube amp enthusiast myself, I'll stick to tube amps as long as I can carry them. And when I can't carry a regular tube amp anymore, I'll buy or make something like SWR IOD that gives me up to 5W of transformer loaded tube power to be amplified with a class D amp :).

Stick to the tubes would be my answer to Your question.

Regards
    Sam

5. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig

Oct 8, 2009
    8,600 feet in the Colorado Rockies
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    I am picking up my Ampeg V4-B from Slemmons in Dallas tomorrow. I bought it used and this is the first time it hit a tech bench. Changed all the tubes but one, a couple new caps, all contacts, rocker switches, knobs cleaned, new power cord installed, a stem to stern overhall and it was only like $280. So far as I know it never had a tech work done.

My point is that 400 seems high and even then a good tube a cap job should cost less than 300.

6. lol>>>"ways a ton"

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Hell Ya get rid of it. You get a 90 day warranty on tubes so of course you can expect them to be high maintenance. They got rid of tubes everywhere else for a reason. It's just hype they're still around MI.

Sell it while it still some market value and jump on the micro heads. All amp manufacturers are going to micros for many reasons, and nobody is giving up tone.

Hmmm - something smells fishy. :ninja:

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    wow, between your reply and seamonkey's usual uninformed opinion about tubes, i'm starting to feel like less of a man for using a micro vr so much these days.

:D

not really. but i must admit that lugging the tubes got a little wearing on me after a while, especially when i dropped my b-15n twice in one month. i see nothing wrong with having a tube rig and a solid state rig that sounds tubey for when you don't want to deal with it or for when an svt is impractical. but there really is no substitute for the real thing, especially a fairly rare amp like a v9. it's really an svt so it's not irreplaceable, but they didn't make nearly as many v9's.

9. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    +1.

I have a Hiwatt 200 Slave, made in 1970. Guess how many sets of power tubes it has seen so far: 2! I replaced the original set of GECs only two weeks ago, and that's not because they are bad or worn out, but simply because they are too precious for every day use.

10. errop123

errop123

Apr 12, 2011
    well ive only had it for a year and two of the tubes are messed up the plate is glowing in them, and im worried that this is going to just keep happening year to year

11. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    That doesn't happen too often... You might want to take it to a different tech and get a full workup on the amp from someone you really trust knows their stuff.

12. errop123

errop123

Apr 12, 2011
    i trust the guy usually take my stuff to. what do you think of hybrid heads

13. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I remember Psycho Bass Guy always said "cherry plating is bad--- mmmm kkaaayyy"

14. errop123

errop123

Apr 12, 2011
    thats what the guy that works on my amp said i havent taken it to him yet

15. Try to be clear. It's not that difficult. How old is the amp and how many times have you had it retubed? It sounds like you have had to bite the bullet on retubing an old amp and this has put you off owning it when it won't have to be done again for a long time.

OR, this is the 2nd time you have had it retubed, which implies your amp tech didn't rebias it properly the first time or it has some other problem. Either way I'd be going to find another amp tech.

16. errop123

errop123

Apr 12, 2011
    it is the second time and i am just kind of turned off by it. well he is a pretty awesome tech he has been doing it forever and everyone i know in the area recomends him

17. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, as long as your tone isn't all that important, you can probably convince yourself that a hybrid amp sounds just as good.

18. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Did he retube and rebias it last time? Either way, you do not need a full retube every time something goes wrong! It might just need biased or it might need a full diagnosis from a capable tech. (I don't know if your guy is capable.)

19. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    Genz Benz Shuttles and Streamliners...part tube and under 7lbs. I havent tried them yet but will soon,

20. errop123

errop123

Apr 12, 2011
    he is very capible

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.