1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tube overdrive pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by totallybacan, Apr 23, 2009.

1. totallybacan

totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    I'm planning on buying a SS amp. In my band however we love the dirty sound of an 80's svt being gained up. how can i retain this sound in pedal form? the amp im considering is a carvin b1500. do they produce enough grind? pack to the pedal, i've seen a few that incorporate actual tubes for overdriven sound. do any of these yield good results?

2. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Best bet is prolly a VT.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    An EBS Valve Drive would get my vote.

4. fedebass

fedebass

Feb 22, 2006
    Aarhus, Denmark
    +1

5. totallybacan

totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    the ebs looks really nice and seems like it would do the job superbly. what tube does it use?

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    You could look at the pedals @ www.olcircuits.com namely the Flipster and Orange Peel (the Thor as well and some of the others are all potentials IMO).

Pedals with a 12AX7 loaded in them generally are voltage starved and more for show than any useful purpose. I'm not saying they sound bad, just don't sound good because of a t00b. Besides, the tone you are speaking of is power tube related... and the typical 12AX7 isn't a power tube.

7. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I'm with James on the 'tube' pedals. Some sound fantastic, but I don't know how much of that is the tube---and I don't think that they sound better than non-tube pedals. I vote for the VTBass, the Flipster, a SansAmp or even an Analogman modded TS9 Turbo. If you wanted to get crazy, try an SWR Interstellar Overdrive rackmount.

I have to ask, though, if you like the 80's SVT tone, why not pick up an SVT II non-pro, instead of the Carvin?

8. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    +1

9. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    VT pedal like the others have said. However, if you are on a tight budget, look at the Behringer BDI21. Its dirt cheap and IMO, the best thing they make.

I personally use my new Line 6 Bass PODxt Live (which I got mint here on TB for the same price as a VT pedal) and it does all the tube/OD sounds I could ask for.

10. I really like the T-Rex Moller, not a tube in it but it's Got a mix knob on it so you can keep your bass signal. I go into an AD200B, keep the amp clean, then when i use this pedal, sounds like the gains just been cranked right up.

Also, just used one of them Blackstar valve pedals, IMO, it's the best i have tried up to now! Also, not THAT costly. Only thing is, you MAY need to spilt your signal into one of them boxes too keep the bass up... It as 2 switches too, gain and a solo for even more gain :)

11. +1

12. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Fulltone Bassdrive or HBE Hematoma.

13. I had a Guyatone Flip Series BBD-X(IIRC:D)that was AWESOME. Wish I'd kept it- I figured the D-180 did everything it did, which is semi-true, aside from portability. Not a very common pedal.
    I also had a Danelectro Daddy-O which was very nice to my ears; these are discontinued but not rare.
    Strangely perhaps, I like all tube or SS amps but rarely care for tube preamps.

14. jfunk

jfunk Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Cincinnati, OH
    Best Tube emulation is the VT for sure. It's sounds really close to an actual tube power section being overdriven. Really well. I used to own a DHA VT1 and MK3 and I loved the sound of those too. Great buttery lightly driven tube tone. Both had a tube in them. That being said, they were a bit different from the VT and more expensive.

15. I can't say what is or is not the 'power tube' sound, as I've never owned a tube amp. I can say that I know my EHX English Muff'n is not voltage starved. I also know that it behaves different than any other drive pedal that I have owned (albeit I haven't owned a ton). It really smooths out my harsher distortions and is very responsive. Better as a live preamp than either my SansAmp BDDI or TriAC.

I approve.

All these other suggestions are very valid.

16. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    If you want a fairly cheap way to get this, get a Bad Monkey. You can tweak the knobs and get a sweat crunchy sound.

It wont go full blown tube break up, but it has a sweat mellow ampeg crunch.

17. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    tech 21 vt for sure

18. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    tech 21 VT Bass

or

tech 21 bass driver di

they can sound the same but they each have a unique range of tones as well. the BDDI is easier to use, but the VT Bass hits a much wider variety of tones

19. totallybacan

totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009
    cool thanks guys. im looking at vt and ebs right now. i've heard that the ebs with my big muff gives some really nice growl. and i'm not specifically looking at one with a tube. i'm just interested in that classic sound.

and nickybass, i'm looking at the carvin because watt: dollar is probably one of the best out there if i am not mistaken. I would love to use my svt as a pre and just use the power of the carvin but it's just too much weight.

but this rack mounted version that you were talking about. what do you mean crazy? as in expensive, or too much growl, or unnecessary, etc.? having a rackmount would actually be a great option since i'd run it almost exclusively the entire time and i wouldn't have to worry about pedls and batteries and extra cords.

20. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    By crazy, I meant really producing the overdriven power tube tone. Basically, the Interstellar Overdrive is a preamp that will give you power tube overdrive, not just preamp tube overdrive. It's an interesting unit. Here's more info: http://www.swrsound.com/support/manuals/pdfs/interstellarod.pdf

Btw, the carvin is highly regarded here, though I've never played one myself.