1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tube overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Willem, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Anyone here who has a tube head and use tube overdrive as your 'clean' tone, but still add fuzz or distortion from time to time? Can it sound as good as with solid state? Or do od/dist/fuzz pedals become redundant once you get a tube head?

Hope you understand my (probably dumb) question.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    A lot of people use overdrive pedals to push their tube amps even harder. Depending on the exact bass/pedals/amp/etc. that may give you any variety of od/dist/fuzz sound, so then you just have to experiment with different pedals to find the ones that interact with your amp best for non-redundancy.

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, but I use a moderately clean tone from my Ampeg SVT3-Pro head (tube pre-amp) and use a EH English Muff'n (tube overdrive) for dirt.

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah I'm not sure what you're asking either, but I use a SVT-BSP head which has two channels. A clean channel and an overdrive channel. I can blend, or seperate. I use the overdrive channel alone on a couple of our originals, or on some covers that we play. Sabotage (Beastie Boys) and Should I Stay (The Clash) are a couple of songs that I can think of. Nice thick fuzz generated by my overdrive channel alone (cranking the gain up on it). No FX. Just a well dialed pre-amp.

5. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I'm asking if od/dist/fuzz pedals go well with tube overdrive?

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I've tried my English Muff'n and my Boss MD-2 with my SansAmp. When the sansamp is set a little dirty and I engage one of the others some of the overtones generated by the EM or MD-2 don't seem to quite mesh with the dirt from the sansamp. It sounds like there's some serious static/white noise going on. Don't get me wrong, in the right situation it'd be :cool: but it just doesn't quite work. Something crazy I discovered yesterday: If I set all the knobs on my MD-2, except the bottom and level, to min, and I max the bottom, I can set it up as a boost that really adds some b@lls to my PDDI!

All in all, YMMV :D

7. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    basic rule of thumb. use an overdrive pedal for a naturally distorting channel. use a distortion pedal for a clean channel.

8. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I have a Mesa Bass 400+ and I run a jacques tube blower through it and it sounds awesome..!

9. I've found that since I switched to a tube head, I've had to dial down the gain on my RAT, or it becomes big feedbacky mush.

10. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    If I am not mistaken here, you are running a tube head so that is has a natural overdrive to it.

And you would like to know if you could put more distortions in front of it.

My opinion. Yes. Just make sure whatever you put after it has a higher gain level than what you are using with the amp head.

For example if you run a OD into a Fuzz, you can be playing with the OD going and kick on the Fuzz for a part and you will get a louder/dirtier/fuzzier sound. As opposed to running a Fuzz into an OD where you would basically destroy your Fuzz sound by turning on the OD at the same time.

Personally I run my amp clean, with an OD, Dist, and Fuzz in a line. I can turn on all 3 at the same time and still get a useable sound out of them.

So after all that, I guess I could have just stuck with Yes.

11. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Thanks guys
    It's just I really like my distortion pedal. It costs a lot too. So I would be bumped out if I couldn't use it anymore when I upgraded to tubes :).