1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tube pedal ehx english muff'n / hot tubes (/ others? / tube di?)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hallic, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Hallic

Hallic

Sep 2, 2012
    Hey,

Im looking something to add to my signal chain that add tube characteristics to my tone(By using actual tubes in the circuit). In particular: im looking for a bit of bottom end "bloom" and top end smoothness/roundness.

I have been looking at the ehx english mufN and hot tubes. Does anyone have experiences between the two? I couldn't really find bass audio samples. Would these 2 pedals also do clean(-ish) sound?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  2. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    Check out the blue tube and the correct sound custom beta hybrid or the Verellen Meatsmoke.

No experience with the 2 u mentioned

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    USA
    Aguilar Tone Hammer
    Bearfoot Blueberry, but unlike the Tone Hammer it's never 'clean'.

4. Hallic

Hallic

Sep 2, 2012
    Although i like the bluetube, its really unpractical since im not located in a foreign country. I'm located in EU.

i have the Blueberry on my try list as a OD pedal, but im looking just a bit of bottom end"bloom" and top end smoothness/roundness in a clean way.

i have been thinking about the effectrode compresor. Since i like the tube gainstage in it. However it seems silly to me to buy a pedal just for the makeupgain. Then again the EHX pedals are actually design of OD tones mainly i think?

5. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP

Kill 2 birds with one stone and get a Smoothie compressor!!!!!!!!

6. Hallic

Hallic

Sep 2, 2012
    thanks for the suggestions. I already know of this particular compressor, and i think i like it. However i am not really sure what 2 birds im killing here. (poor birds, i dont want o kill any :roflmao:). The Smoothie compressor is not able to create bottom end bloom, i think it can fatten it yes, but not bloom :(

DirtyDuke likes this.