Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube power amp for Ampeg SVP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPrisus, Jun 17, 2005.

1. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Currently running an Ampeg SVP tube preamp into a Hartke 200w head's FX return (bypassing the front end of the Hartke and using it solely for power). I'd like to get a more powerful amp with nicer tone... ideally an SVT2 head, but since i already have essentially the same preamp (and i'm quite happy with it), i'd rather just upgrade the power section. Anything out there?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Unless you go used, Demeter is the only one left :crying:
    Unless you have $3000, its easier to just hook up your pre to a power amp in a tube bass head.

3. cool.. I never heard of the Demeter! I always sadly thought the Aguilar is the only All tube bass-power amp, and it is going to be harder and harder to get this one, especially in my area.

Has someone already tried this Demeter, and how is it??

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think Ampeg and Mesa both make power-only versions of their tube heads, but I don't see why you'd bother with needing a rack, etc, if the head had everything you wanted. You'll be better off just selling the pre and getting an SVT-2 Pro.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Mesa and Ampeg MADE power amps. Mesa still makes one, but its a stereo power amp with I think 150 watts total (75 per side).

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Carvin makes a 100 watt one. Matamp makes a 140 watt "slave" (which is basically a mono power amp).

7. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    What about the Eden? Just came up in a search, any users?

8. Ampeg used to make the SVT300, which was just the power section from the SVT II (non pro) in an individual box

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Eden makes solid state power amps (WT-1000, WT-1250, WT-1550), and an all tube head (VT-300B), but no tube power amps.

I am lucky enough to own a Demeter VTHF-300M (which is still in production), an Aguilar DB 728 (recently out of production), and a Mesa Boogie Strategy 400 (out of production for some time, but not too uncommon on the used market). Any one of these would pair up well with your preamp. However, unless you come across a very good deal on the Demeter or Aguilar, they can be rather pricey. The Mesa Boogie is usually much more affordable. However, be advised that the Strategy 400 and Strategy 500 are stereo power amps, so you can't send all of their power to one cab. Also, FWIW, it seems that the 400 is generally preferred for bass rigs (though I have not tried a 500).

Tom.

10. is it 100% necessary to use a BASS power amp, if you want a tube one and you can't find or afford a BASS tube power amp?
    ..or can a GUITAR all tube power amp in combination with a bass preamp also do it in the same quality?
    they are easier to find and often cheaper.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Question #1, it is necessary to use a bass amp. Keep in mind that a power amp, and a bass amp are two different things. What you do want is a good quality power amp like a QSC, Crown, Crest if that is how you want to go with your rig. If you want something all tube, then you need to buy an all tube bass amp.

Question #2, no. The preamp shapes your sound, it does not amplify or add power. As a general rule, you do not want to play your bass through a guitar amp at loud volumes.

-Mike

12. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My .02, as a former Strat 500 owner who A/B'ed it with a Strat 400 going thru a couple preamps [Kern and Boogie Triaxis modified for bass(!)]: they're both very good bass power amps, I'd give a slight nod to the Strat 400. Can't go wrong with either one... but as Tom mentioned, keep in mind that they're both stereo amps with no possibility of bridging into a single cab.

13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Which must be solved with more cabs... Who doesn't want more cabs? :smug:

14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    He can use a guitar tube power amp, there's nothing wrong with it. Hell, I play through a Sunn guitar head all the time and i'm not complaining.

Look for the Peavey Classic 120/120. It's a heavy sumbitch, but it can be bridged for 240 watts of all tube Peavey (aka LOUD) power.

15. i remember reading here somewhere about someone having a pair of peavey classic120/120 driving 4 ampeg 8x6" cabs.

16. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    If you have the money for one, it doesn't get much better in terms of tube tone. The Aguilar 728 is great too if you can find one. Both can be found on the used market occasionally.

17. if he wants someting all tube, can he not use his bass preamp with a guitar power amp like the mesa 90/90? i think thats more along the lines of the question he's asking. its not a guitar tube amp persay, more of just the power amp which cant be much different from a bass power amp, or am i wrong? i probably am but thats why im asking

18. Another option would be a Mesa 400/+ running your pre into the effects return. Used, this could be a cost effective power amp for you.

I've done this with my SVP-CL/Mesa 400+. Works nice!

19. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I used a Peavey Classic 120/120 power amp for many years as a bass power amp. I thought it sounded really great through a Peavey 410-S cabinet. It is a very heavy amp that's nicely made, mine sounded best with Sevetlana or Tesla 6L6 output tubes. I quit using that amp when I got an Ampeg 410 cabinet that was very heavy, it needed more power than 240watts to sound good so I sold the Peavey amp on E-Bay. They do crop up on there from time to time, $300 or so should buy you a nice one.

20. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    I know you said tube, but you should check out a Crest CA9 with that Ampeg pre...you will be surprised.