tube power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cmongetserious, Dec 7, 2004.

1. hey guys, my first post here - although its the most horrible season of the year and i got tooo much work to do :)

anyways ... since i can not afford to buy myself a boogie amp , i need something else to spice up my sound.
    now, i'm looking at some alternatives:

1. buy a full - tube power amp (right now im using a 10+ yrs old peavey cs400) - do you know of a good brand - i wanaa have appr. 400 Watts
    2. aquiring a sans amp bass driver di or anything comparable
    3. saving my money until i can buy a real boogie

any recommendations?

bye 4 now,

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Personally I would just buy the Sansamp which will cost you under $200, then once you've got that to hold you over for a while, start saving for the real Boogie.
  3. hmmm ... thanks ... ill try one of these out at a music store.

thanks for your quick reply :)
  4. Well if the dollar keeps shrinking to the Euro, the Mesa will get cheaper, especially if you order from here.

Our dollar is likely to keep shrinking so hang in there.

In the meantime, check out the Yorkville Traynor YBA 200 and the threads about it. Around 500 u.s. dollars here.

great bands in the bermuda triangle in wien.
  5. rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    How much solid state power would you say that the yourkville's 200 tube watts come to?
  6. 400-500 depending on overdrive. But they say tubes are more linear so they don't get power-sapped when playing lower notes. This makes them sound louder. They distort completely different when overdriven.
  7. From what I've seen, you're not going to find many 400W tube power amps for less than the cost of a boogie. From what I've seen, most are in fact much more than the boogie itself. The ones I can think of in the 400W range are the Demeter and Aguilar ones, and both are gonna run over $2000US.
  8. anything with a tube power section like you are talking about is going to cost a lot more then whatever boogie amp you have in mind. you can find a used mesa 400+ or ampeg svt for around $800 sometimes but that is about as cheap as they go these days.

if you want tube power the Yorkville Traynor YBA 200 is your best bet of a good amp at a reasonable price.

if you are just looking for a quick tone fix then I would go with the sansamp and save up your money for the real deal.
  9. hmmm ... ok, fine ... well, i am looking for a good long-term solution, but long for some quick changes as well :)

what do you guys think of the buser 200 combo? can you compare it to eg the walkabout head?

@angelopb: hey, when have you been to vienna?

thanks for your all your answers !