Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tube power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassyamaha5, Feb 26, 2005.

1. bassyamaha5

bassyamaha5

Sep 4, 2002
    Hanover, MA
    I am looking for some advice on a tube power amp, verty interested in an old Mcintosh but dont know where to find one, thought maybe someone could help me out a little
    thanks in advance

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    For better or worse, try the audiophile forums, such as rec.audio.high-end. Sadly for us, these things are "desirable," and may command a high price.

I wonder if an alternative is to tap into the power amp section of a tube guitar amp, simply because those are more commonplace.

My first bass amp was a Heathkit 25-Watt monaural hi-fi with a pair of Gold Lion KT66 output tubes. My dad built it, and it went up into the attic when he finally got a stereo. When I got my first electric bass, the hi-fi came back down, and my dad magically transformed it into a bass amp by putting the woofer (15" Jensen) into a small cabinet.

3. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Why do you want a Mac? I've owned bunches of Mac amps over the years, and I can tell you the tube amps are NOT for bass. Even a bridged MC-275 just doesn't have enough grunt. Mac tube stuff is very good for old records, but no good for deep, powerful bass.
    If you have to have a Mac, at least get a solid state one. The Dead used MC-300's and MC-500's back in the day, but by todays standards of power, they can't hold a candle to a Crest or Crown.
    They have also gotten so expensive, it doesn't make sense. I sold my last MC-240 last year, that wasn't in perfect cosmetic shape(but sounded KILLER), for $1800.00!!!!!!!
    Corey

4. If I was crazy enough to lug around an all-tube power amp, it wouldn't be an old Mac, they're too expensive and realistically not enough power.

A much better choice for an all-tube power amp IMHO would be a Peavey Classic 120/120....120 watts per channel and I believe they can be paralleled for 240 watts into a single channel.

Heavy, though!!

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  6. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Got two Mc30s in my living room... not for sale.

McIntosh prices really are on the upswing right now. There are several foreign eBay bidders going nuts.

Honestly, an Mc60 in good electrical condition will probably make 75W with very, very little distortion. That's very usable power for certain situations. What's the intended use? As others allude to, they aren't very practical to lug around.

Check www.audiogon.com for singles from time to time. I got my 30s for $900 a bit over a year ago.

7. Ben Clarke

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Do you recall if it was a W5M? Well regarded amps! I've got a pair in the shop getting updated. Probably going to use them for the Altec 9844A studio monitors that I'm picking up next week. I'd bet that amp sounded really good within its limits.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    once you've gone all tube, its nearly impossible to go back:

[​IMG]

9. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    I've got a pair of the W5M's as well. GREAT amps that were under-rated for years!
    Corey

10. Ben Clarke

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Nice! What speakers do you run them with? My 30s push my Klipschorns beautifully, with a Paragon 12 pre, and a VPI Scout turntable as the main source. (HH Scott tube tuner and Sony DVD/SACD don't get used all that much round here!)

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    you can say that again!

[​IMG]

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx, unfortunately, at higher volumes with the ol' Low B, the poor 728 doesnt push enough wattage. but dagnabbit, does look purdy, no? ;)

on the other hand, for some killer all tube tone, my B-2 does a great job of translating it all with supreme Low B / all tube finesse. :cool:

and sweet amp, mr. hart! what amp is that?

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    it's a Peavey Classic 400. I've got 8x Sovtek KT88, 2x EHX 12AX7, 2x JAN 12AX7, 1x JJ 12AX7 and an EHX 12AT7 in it. Dual channel with separate eq sections (with switch and/or combine) Compressor, over 400 watts output, etc. The sucker weighs a hundred pounds... but completely worth the efforts to move it

I've got a smaller nameplate and this grill in it now... I need to get a new photo of 2

[​IMG]

I'm upset yours has been discontinued. It's one of the amps on my GAS list.

14. I think you will find a lot of Macs in old studios and Audiophile rigs but I agree with Corey, as a former Music Store Owner (Family Business) an "Old MacIntosh" is definitely probably a bad idea...aside from the usual suspects you may want to check out Demeter's VTHF-300M 300 WATT ALL TUBE AMP with your choice of Pre (I use a Demeter HBP-1) or their Hybrid HB 600 which is essentially an HBP-1 tube Pre with a Robust MOSFET output stage all at only 27 pounds.....

I heard a HB 600 through an Accugroove Whappo, Jr at a session the other day and it was one of the most happening Bass Sounds I have ever heard!!! I can't tell you how bad I am GASsing to check out a Thunderfunk with a Whappo, JR....I"m thinking that is going to be my next rig...BUT I know I have GOT to pick up an Accugroove ( I have a Bergie Mini Stack and LOVE IT!! but man, my Sadowsky coming through that Accugroove was KILLER) :hyper: :D :help: :D

http://www.demeteramps.com/

T

BTW - I am not affiliated with any product or Company mentioned!!

15. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    eh, i'm sure you'll see 'em on ebay soon enough.

tommy have you tried the Dem all tube power amp? impressions?

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

someday maybe....

[brief derailment]
    How's the Clowder? We gained a new little grey tiger that is a complete clone of a girl we lost 5 years ago from the local Petsmart / Humane Shelter coop section (2.5 months of visiting for supplies every other week trying to convince ourselves someone else would take her home... we broke). She's 3 and fit right in... loopy as the rest of us ;)
    [/back to the subject on hand]

So how is that amazing rig of yours working out?

18. Joker, No I hope I did not mislead anyone, I was advising to check it out based on my Experience in the Studio with the HB 600!! If the VTHF- 300M is anywhere NEAR what the Results were with the HB600 that would be one KILLER Sounding AMP!! If Mr Demeter likes it enough to put his name on it I would bet money that it would sound every bit as sweet as I imagine...

Not to hijack the thread but I got a chance to Play my Sadowsky (in fact we wound up using her on 3 of the tracks we cut for a very good up and comer out of New York!!) Through the HB600 and My Avalon U5 and My HBP-1/CA-9 rig into the aforementioned Accugroove Whappo, Jr. WWWOOOWWW! Is all I could say!! I played a couple of different Accugrooves in the past and thought they were good...BUT my Sadowsky CAME ALIVE through it no matter what amp I sent through it....

Really thinking about Mounting my PL PLUS, Korg Rack Tuner, Shure ULXP Guitar and Shure PSM 600 IEM (only use on Occasion Now) (side by side half spacers) Wireless and the new Thunderfunk racked up in a JAN-AL 6 Space Rack and a Whappo, JR now and leaving EVERYTHING else at home if that tells you anything.......IT was THAT GOOD!!!!!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

BACK on topic, Sorry Guys!

Peace and Chicken Grease,

T

19. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

All the cat-doods that have claimed my garage are semi-feral, alley types.
    You sayin' I got some kinda' pure breed? :eyebrow:

(congrats on the new cat :hyper: )
    I wish I knew :crying:

I guess that's the bane of bein' able to afford that kinda' rig; I'm stuck
    spendin' more time workin' than playin' with all the cool toys

thanks to Gard @ BC :D I added an EA 310, so...

= each neck of the RA double goes to an Alembic F2-B (ch A cascaded into ch B)
    = each Alembic pre feeds a Demeter VTHF-300M
    = one Demeter goes to two EA CXL-112's, the other to the EA 310

(I think any amp G.A.S. is cured for a while)