Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tube power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Apr 7, 2005.

1. who makes a good quality tube power amp? +-300 to 500 watts...

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  3. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Hmm. Aguilar is really the first one that comes to mind--I'd step lively if you're really interested...they're sufficiently specialized as an item, you might could find one still in stock somewhere.

As noted, there's also Demeter.

Be prepared to spend a hell of a lot of money. If you don't like what's out there, you probably wouldn't be spending a LOT more to have one built custom.

You might consider buying an all-tube head (SVT or Mesa 400+) and then running your preamp into the effects return or some similar preamp-bypassing technique. Might be a lot cheaper in the end!

4. Mesa also made/makes The Coliseum 300 or the Strategy 400.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you are talking power amp only, not a head, then the field has been pretty much covered (Aguilar, Demeter, Mesa Boogie), except for Phil Jones (if you have a spare $10k laying around.

There are some other tube amps available in lower power ratings (I know Peavey offered some).

Tom.

6. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I think you should have to audition before you're allowed to buy it--to prove you're worthy.

7. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Is the DB728 Aguilar discontinued??? Didn't know, it is still listed on their website!. Will Aguilar be launching a new tube power amp?

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It is, indeed, discontinued. And as far as I know, they do not have plans to put out another one any time soon. :bawl:

That's why I snagged one when I did! :smug:

9. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    the DB728 is just a wonderful power amp, I can really recommend it if you can find it..fat, buttery, powerful and clean! It's a real pity if this amps is discontinued...

10. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    ...and Ampeg made the SVT300, which is the SVT power section in a rack chassis. Badass piece of gear if you can find one.

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Wow, I learned some thing new to GAS after! Ain't TalkBass great!

Thanks for the info!

Tom.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    and guess who just ordered one... ;)

btw, Joel, my deposited checks should be clearing soon. sorry for the wait. :(

while i more than love my Aggie, i think the Demeter might be a better fit for me. from what Adam @ Dem and Joel at TGS tells me, the feedback knob lets you dial in a tighter sound, and yet have that tubey goodness. also, biasing for taste testing tubes is MUCH easier granted the leads are all on the front via a removable hatch.

watch out for yet another jokerrific comparison review of the two. once you go all tube, its nearly impossible to go back. ;)

13. Quintheskimo

Quintheskimo Guest

Aug 24, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Waiting for the comparison with GREAT anticipation!

Was wondering about the Mesa as well.

14. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Joker,

How ya makin' out with the Wayne Jones these days?

~S~

15. Theres a used Peavey VT-400 Festival Series tube power amp at a Samash near me. I'm pretty sure it's 200watts. It looks interesting but I have no idea how it works and it produces a ton of hum.

16. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    rivera tbr-5!!
    picked mine up off ebay for $750 with all new tubes.

Pentode High-160 Low -45
    Triode High-70 Low-20

its a stereo head, so all those outputs are x2; you can rock the house at 160X2 or get super-smooth class-a for the studio with just the flip of a switch......

17. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    No sweat Joker. You will love the Demeter. I can't wait to hear your review of it!

18. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
  19. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    And the Strategy 500! ;)