Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube Power Amp's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Piezoman, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Is there anywhere to get just the powersection of a tube amp? Or someone who makes strong tube power amps?

2. Demeter
    Aguilar (discontinued)
    Trace Elliot (discontinued)
    Eden

That's a good start. Those are all around 300 to 400 watts.

EDIT: The Trace is a tube head with a preamp. Still good though!

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Ampeg used to make one. Peavey made four (a 60, a 120, a 2x60 and a 2x120) the dual power amps had paralleling switches to make them 120 watts and 240 watts mono.

The Sam Ash near me has an Aguilar...they want $1200 for it IIRC.

Does the SVT-CL have a power amp in jack?

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Mesa (discontinued)
    Peavey (discontinued)
    Ampeg did one at one point, didn't they?

5. Phil Jones makes a, um, nice one...the T-500. Sure, there's a preamp stage in it, but at $10K, who cares?

6. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    The Demeter VTHF300M is an all tube, mono block power amp that is IMO tonal nirvana.

7. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Dynaco monoblocs or ST-70? :D

8. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    Yep, mine has a preamp-out and power-amp in.

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What I believe to be a complete list of high power tube power amps made specifically for bass:
    Demeter (still in production)
    Aggie (recently discontinued)
    Mesa (discontinued)
    Ampeg (discontinued)
    Peavey (I think they made a high power one for bass, but since has been discontinued)

The Demeter, the only one still in production, is about $3000 I think. A guitar power amp would work, though with some possible low end problems, but other than that you can get an all tube bass head and just use the power amp in that or look used.

10. As peaople have said Ampeg used to make one, it was the power section of my amp, and it was called the SVT-300, i've never seen one anywhere in real life tho, its just in the same manual as mine

What i'd do if i was wanting a power amp is probably get an SVT-II (if i didnt already have one), and just use the preamp in section on it, it'll be cheaper than any individual tube power amp, and you could always have the option to somehow setup so you could switch between the SVT-II's preamp and your own seperate one, im not sure how, but im sure it'd be doable :)