Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube Power Amps???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Aug 13, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ok...

...deep breath.....

i'm considering getting a tube power amp. they're big. they're ridiculously heavy, but the tone is out of this world. but which one? i've tried my Demeter with an Aguilar DB728, and i nearly cried right there. :eek:

but how's the Demeter VTHF-300M???

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I have an Aguilar DB728 with a Kern IP-777 pre. I will NEVER go back to solid state. I haven't tried the Demeter yet, but I have heard good things about them. James Demeter does nice stuff. I can tell you that I bought the Ag for $1000 on ebay. It was less than a year old and in excellent shape.

I gotta say the Ag is the most solidly built amp I have ever seen. I think all the components are industrial grade. I suspect it will last at least 10 years without a component failure. (Except the tubes of course.)

3. joker,
    I know my recent post may sound like I don't like my Mesa 400+ anymore, but that just ain't so. If you want a great combo head try one. You can get a brand new one for $1400.00 or find a good used one. Lots of tubes but they last long if you take care of your stuff. Great Sound. I have two. I was just looking at some opitions with the posts about preamps and solid state power amps last week. I actually ended up buying the second 400+ because I couldn't find anything I liked better for the money Tubewise or solid state. It just didn't seem powerful enough to run the new Berg 212, but since I have tried some different setting and I'm getting it better. May still try a pre and amp set though. Definatley try the 400+ dude.