Tube Power Amps???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Aug 13, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

...deep breath.....

i'm considering getting a tube power amp. they're big. they're ridiculously heavy, but the tone is out of this world. but which one? i've tried my Demeter with an Aguilar DB728, and i nearly cried right there. :eek:

but how's the Demeter VTHF-300M???
  2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I have an Aguilar DB728 with a Kern IP-777 pre. I will NEVER go back to solid state. I haven't tried the Demeter yet, but I have heard good things about them. James Demeter does nice stuff. I can tell you that I bought the Ag for $1000 on ebay. It was less than a year old and in excellent shape.

I gotta say the Ag is the most solidly built amp I have ever seen. I think all the components are industrial grade. I suspect it will last at least 10 years without a component failure. (Except the tubes of course.)
  3. joker,
    I know my recent post may sound like I don't like my Mesa 400+ anymore, but that just ain't so. If you want a great combo head try one. You can get a brand new one for $1400.00 or find a good used one. Lots of tubes but they last long if you take care of your stuff. Great Sound. I have two. I was just looking at some opitions with the posts about preamps and solid state power amps last week. I actually ended up buying the second 400+ because I couldn't find anything I liked better for the money Tubewise or solid state. It just didn't seem powerful enough to run the new Berg 212, but since I have tried some different setting and I'm getting it better. May still try a pre and amp set though. Definatley try the 400+ dude.