1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tube Pre-Amp with Clarus - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tedw, Mar 18, 2009.

1. tedw

tedw Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    I have recently started playing a P bass and would like to use a tube preamp in conjunction with my Acoustic Image Clarus, as a power amp. I've been told the Alembic F1-X is a good choice and am interested in comments on this combination and other recommendations.

I searched for similar posts and did not find one that was right on point for this question.

Thanks for your help.

2. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert

alembic isn't my favorite tube pre-amp, but you can probably find a kern for around the same price, but my fav is the aguilar db680, but a bit pricey unless you can steel one two days before christmas like i did.

3. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Ted,

You should try the Tech 21 VT Bass pedal. It's not real tubes, but you don't need to rack it either. The Kern and Alembic are both rack mounts.

4. tedw

tedw Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    Brian and Joe,

Thanks for the great ideas. I got some help on my tone settings tonight from a fellow talkbasser, and it appears that I am able to get the tone I am seeking from my Clarus. I'll keep your suggestions in mind, though. Thanks again!

Ted

5. Hey, would you mind sharing your new settings? I still haven't been able to get the (EB) tone I want from a clarus. It would be cool to see where you wound up.

6. tedw

tedw Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    Ok, here's what worked for me: Level @ 12:00, Bass, Mid, Treble, all at 1:00, Notch filter at 3:00. Master @ whatever.... start low and work upwards to desirable volume. Give it a try and let me know what you think.