1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tube pre for no-amp-gigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by karlgustav, Sep 15, 2008.

1. karlgustav

karlgustav

Aug 30, 2005
    Europe,Estonia
    Hi

posted it on a Live sound section as well... but action there is quite slow.

I play mostly with inear monitors lately and am looking for a tube pre ( with compressor preferred ) dont have a huge budget so at this point I am between to options:

ART pro channel
    http://www.artproaudio.com/products....=79&cat=1&id=4

or M-audio Tampa
    http://cgi.ebay.com/M-AUDIO-AUDIO-TA...QQcmdZViewItem

the signal chain is:
    bass - pre - D.I FOH and TRS split to stage for mon mix.
    to some point I want to add tuner and effect/multieffect.

I know these are not bass designated pre amps but at least the EQ on ART makes me hope that there is few usable tones to dial from it.

there are also some cheap and smaller tube pre's like ART tube pac and Studio V3 , but I dont trust in things so small and cheap ... altough it would save me from rack.

any ideas? is anyone useing some of the pres mentioned or something else with good results (or bad just for a warning) in live (or in studio) ?

KG

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The ART pro channel has a good reputation; M-Audio gear is mostly designed for use at home, I don't know how it would hold up in a live setting. Check www.Basstasters.com for an extensive list of tube preamps and tube DI's, with lots of soundclips. Check out Presonus. Also a non-tube brand with a warm vintage sound is Joemeek, so check them out.

3. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    If you don't have much of a budget, forego the tube part. "Tube," on the budget end of the spectrum, is a marketing buzzword and doesn't even sound as good as solid-state for the price.

My advice is to check out Line6 gear. For running direct, it's ideal: In addition to tube preamp tones, it models amps, cabs, and microphones, plus effects like compression, and has a built-in tuner & expression pedal (for accessing the built-in wah, etc, and also as a volume pedal):

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BassFloorPOD/

for $200. Sweetwater has a 30-day return policy if you decide it's not for you. I play in churches a lot, using in-ears, and needed something for exactly the same reason you're describing - I tried & liked this unit so much I went with the big brother version, the Line6 Bass POD xt Live ($400). Hope this helps. :bassist:

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Somehow I don't think that Sweetwater's 30 day return policy will do the OP much good - he's in Estonia.

I'm not with you on the POD. Audio quality wise it dosn't stack up to my ear. Of the two unit;s metioned by the OP the Pro Channel is what I would pick. I played through it's predecessor, the Tube Channel for a while and that worked well for me. Built well too.

I'm totally with Dave that at this end of the market - tube or no tube isn't the question though ... I would add the BBE BMax to your list. A good, bass guitar oriented feature set. They are often had for around $200.

5. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I still use one of those now. Actually makes a nice bass pre, and you can find them used for around $100...I did.

6. I have used the Art pro Channel with my power-amp set-up. The entire setup is now gone, but the Art is still a keeper. I just can't part with it, even though i probably almost won't use it, I keep it for the rare occasions where i have the 'no-amp-gig' thing..

7. karlgustav

karlgustav

Aug 30, 2005
    Europe,Estonia
    thank you for replays

so far it looks good for the ART
    anyone had a bad with their product experience?