Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube Preamp / Solid State Power Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Just curious, why would someone go with a tube preamp and solid state power amp?? This might sound dumb, but wouldnt the solid state power amp negate the sound of the tube preamp?? I guess, whats the advantage of going with a tube preamp rather than a solid state preamp when its all going to go through a solid state amp?

Sorry, I'm dumb when it comes to this stuff.. I just plug stuff in and hope it sounds good but am looking for different options for future upgrades..

2. poundround

poundround

Mar 8, 2005
    Lynchburg VA
    Well, what would a hybrid head be then smarty pants. :eyebrow:

3. Hey, I'm the one asking the questions!!!

FYI: I searched.. Just didnt really find any direct answers.. If anyone knows of a thread that address these issues, please let me know..

4. Running a tube preamp will send a warm signal to the power amp. A power amp will just amplify what it recieves with some sort of minimal coloration. If the power amp were tube, then it would warm up and crunch the higher you turn it up.

It's really all about how much tube warmth you want vs. how much power you need.

5. Hmm.. ok.. Thats kinda what I thought.. I using both double bass and electric so I'm trying to find something that'll work good with both.. My Modulus sometimes sounds a bit unorganic so I was curious if a tube preamp will help it out a bit..

6. I've been playing my upright through my bbe preamp and it sounds really good through my Son of Bertha with the tweeter up a little. I'm using a custom pickup that I'm going to start producing on a larger scale and sell.

EDIT: I'm playing psychobilly, that probably matters or something.

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Not quite. A tube poweramp with 300-400 watts will be all you ever need, and keep up with about a 1200-1600 watt SS power amp. Its more like how much you want to spend vs how much warmpth you want, as tube power amps are 1) very expensive and hard to find or 2) used, and still hard to find, and still pretty expensive :p . Weight is another big issue.

8. If you run a tube power amp hot enought to keep up with a 1500 watt power amp than more than likely you will get some kind of cruch or distortion. With bass this is probably desireable, but say with a PA you just want an accurate reproduction.

and yes, high power tube anything is far more expensive

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    My Mesa 400+ gets a lot louder than a SVT-4 Pro that another band was using. I did have a bit of overdrive, but just enough to sound completely awesome. But yah, you wouldn't want a tube amp for a PA.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My answer is a qualified yes. Qualified because some tube preamps are phat and warm, while others are bright and shimmery. If you want a more organic tone for your Modulus, I'd recommend phat and warm.

11. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    FWIW - I play electric and upright. I use an Eden WT-550 head (tube preamp/SS power amp) and a Bergantino HT112 cab. It sounds great. Lots of growl, and a warm, phat tone.

12. How much do the WT550s go for? I'm running 2 Aguilar 1x12's...

Also, I'd be interested in something that has 2 channels.. I like being able to switch between electric and upright without having to fiddle with the EQ..