1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tube Preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Eldamyr, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Eldamyr

Eldamyr

Feb 6, 2011
    Haye guys
    I'm looking for a tube preamp that can add that warm sound of a tube to my ampeg B-2RE head. I dont whant to spent a lot of money on this so, i'm looking for the best price/quality on the market ;)

Thanks a lot guys :)

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    How much is not a lot? Tube pres that sound like a tube amp aren't exactly cheap.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Also, there is a surprisingly wide range of different sounds that people mean when they say "tube amp" or "warm". For some people all it takes to get there is a subtle EQ shaping, for others it includes a sort of furry or thick sound, for others it means some amount of noticeable clipping. So when you see posts saying a pedal provides "tube amp" tones or "warmth", consider the context, what the speaker is comparing against.

Classic example: the Radial JDI. I have seen at least two dozen posts talking about its "tubey warmth", and at least another two dozen saying it was too clean, or even "perfectly transparent".

Popular cheap choices include the ART TubePAC, Presonus TubePRE, Behringer BDI121, and Tech21 VT Bass (used).

4. not to mention that a tube pre-amp can be the most transparent pre type out there if it´s not driven.

And most of the times, the transformer and the type of it in a circuit colours more than the tube itself.

5. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I highly suggest an EBS ValveDrive and experiment with different tubes in it. Though it is touted as an overdrive pedal, it can be set clean. I swapped a Mullard reissue tube into it and it sounds amazing direct, or into any of my heads. I sometimes use it in conjunction with a VT Bass as well for added color. It's not a cheap unit, but well worth the price.

6. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    That's just a modeler, isn't it? No tubes?

7. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    You could go with a FET-based preamp. FETs are what replaced Tubes.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Correct, but the thing is that what many people are thinking when they say "tubey tone" or "warm" or w/ever is often based on the tonal effects of power tubes and output transformers, and cannot be obtained from a pedal containing just one or two preamp tubes. So for those people, a good solid-state emulation gets better results than a typical pedal/pre with a "real tube".

9. Eldamyr

Eldamyr

Feb 6, 2011
    Tanks a lot guys, but i have forgot to mention 1 important thing -.-'
    I'm looking for a tube pre WITH drive on it(it may come in handy)... the EBS ValveDrive that Jazznfunk mentioned before, has the kind of sound that i'm looking for, you can hear it here EBS Sweden AB - Professional Bass Equipment its the first sample, the one without effect.
    The problem is that it is a little to expensive for me, i'm looking for something around 150€, that is something like 200$

Once again thank for your help

10. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    What you are asking for is going to cost you, I fear. If you budget is lacking, you may have to settle for the now.

Or, begin setting aside 10 EURO a week until you can afford the higher end.

11. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    ebs valve drives pop up here often . Usually for less than 200 US