Tube preamps, emulation or not?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by opivy3056, Nov 19, 2004.

1. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I'm considering getting one of the two following pedals:

Sans amp bass driver DI-tube emulation preamp pedal

Electro-harmonix LPB 2ube-tube preamp pedal with 2 tubes

If i'm looking for a truly natural overdrive, just so those sweet upper harmonics can help me cut through, which pedal would you go with? (not looking for a radical change in tone)

these are the ONLY pedals i'm considering unless something phenomenal comes along.

2. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    truly natural overdrive + phenomenal = Fulltone Bass Drive
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Real tube or "fake" tube is the question?

Ask yourself, would you rather have a REAL naked woman in your bed, or an emulation of one?????? ;)
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Actually I think you might want an Aphex exciter.

Distortion actually makes it harder to cut through.
  5. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    If you listen to the track Intolerance by Tool, you can distinctly hear the bass and his awesome sound. The upper harmonic definition is crazy. I know I could never acheive these sounds playing fingerstyle, but thats pretty much what i'm looking for. i'm not looking for a full fledged distortion, just a pedal to get me closer to that sound.

Most of the time at practice my amp with my 4x10 cabinet is on 2. at gigs it a little over half or so. Would tubes make my live sound killer?
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I own the Sans Amp Bass Driver DI and think it's definitely NOT a natural sounding's anything but natural sounding.

I also own the Fulltone Bass Drive which is almost as natural sounding as my Read Purity in eq. bypass's that good.

Based on my experiences with these 2, I'm happy to sell you my Sans Amp for a fair price, but I wouldn't consider parting with my Fulltone for less than the purchase price of a new one (so I could buy another one :hyper: )