Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube preamps - SVP Pro or?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by michael, Mar 4, 2001.

1. michael

michael

Mar 10, 2000
    Looking for a preamp for my SWR Workingmans' 300 to get a tube feel. First off, can I plug a preamp right into the instument jack? There is no separate power amp in jack.

Anyone using the Ampeg SVP Pro? Noise and hiss driving you nuts? I haven't been able to try one yet but am interested.

2. You could also plug right into the effects return/recieve if it has one. This should totally bypass the preamp on the SWR and use it just as a poweramp.

3. michael

michael

Mar 10, 2000
    Yeah, it would be nice but the SWR is set up with an effects side chain loop. But then, I could set the mixing knob to full effect.... hmmmmm........hmmmmmm........

Good idea, thanks, I could try that

4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Michael,

I had one of the early SVP-PRO preamps. It sounded very good but the DI was so noisy it was useless.

Mine had 4 12AX7 and one 12AU7. I understand Ampeg has made some changes and the preamp now uses all 12AX7's and the noisy DI is a thing of the past.

If you are looking for a fatter tone the SVP-Pro, Alembic F-1X and F-2B as well as the Trace Elliot V-Type will do the job. My favorite out of those is the F-1X. I've owned them all.

Good Luck

Chuck

5. But tone IMO, in order
    -Aguilar
    -Alembic
    -Kern
    -Harry Kolbe
    -Demeter
    -Eden
    -SeWeR
    I never heard the Trace pre's--nobody sells them in Pittsburgh

6. michael

michael

Mar 10, 2000
    Hey PhatBoi5

Seeing as how we agree on hottest chicks in movies, I'll trust your taste in preamps!

7. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Michael,

I strongly suggest that you try the preamps and decide for yourself what sounds best for you. I prefer the Demeter VTBP-201 over any preamp I've tried and I've tried most brands except the Kern. No expensive preamp should have a wall wart so I would not consider the Kern.

Each of us has our own legitimate preferences and you should develop your own. I favor Pedulla fretless basses and Mike Lull and Ken Smith fretted basses. I also use Stewart power amps and Eden 410XLT cabs. This equipment gives me "My killer tone". You might hate my tone.

Chuck

8. michael

michael

Mar 10, 2000
    Few of those preamps PhatBoi5 listed are even around locally to try. I've gone off in a different route and I'm looking at compressors. I have an Alesis NanoCompressor on trial now. Haven't been able to give it a thorough workout yet but while it does a decent enough job of compression and limiting, it's really introducing odd-order harmonics. The shop is bringing in an ART Levelar for me to try. Pretty much the same price. I'm hoping the single tube Levelar will introduce even order harmonics into the chain and warm and thicken things up a bit. From what I've read, it should, but like you say, Chuck, I've got to try it out and decide for myself.

If I can get the sound for less $$ and bulk, I'll be happy :)

By your gear list, I think I would really like your tone, Chuck! But then, how I would feel playing your gear probably wouldn't feel right to me, either, or sound like you. (But I'm sure my Fenders would sound awesome through your rig!) I've thought about a nice single space preamp with a Stewart. Killer rig in 2 rack spaces! Yep, I'm still "in process";)