Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tube preamps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by air_leech, Feb 15, 2001.

1. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    been wondering, are these cool tube preamps on the market (Warwick Quadraplet, Ampeg SVP...) only good for old school stuff or tubes and hi-fi go together nowdays?

am I a bit misled with the "tubes only good for classic rock bass" prejudice?

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Cleanest most detailed tone I've heard is my Demeter VTBP-201 with GT 7025 tubes in it.

You can get tubes preamps that are clean or have the dirt depending on what you buy.

Chuck

3. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    alright, so the Demter and Alembic are for clean tones and the Ampeg is for dirty ones?

how far is an Aguilar, price wise, from the Demter, Alembic, Warwick and Ampeg?

4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The Ampeg SVP-PRO has some very nice clean tone but does not have the clarity of the Demeter. Aguilar makes 2 preamps. Both sound great and are designed to deliver clean tone.

My second favorite preamp is the single rack space Aguilar. Sounds a lot like the Demeter with a bit more EQ capability.

Have not tried the Warwick. I have owned the SVP-PRO, Alembic F-1X, Alembic F-2B, Demeter VTBP-201 and the Trace Elliot V-Type. They all sound good, I just prefer the Demeter for clarity and beautiful warm tone.

Chuck

5. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    I've had a Warwick Quadruplet for about 6 months now, along with Ampeg SVP-BSP, SVP-PRO, EBS-1V2 and Alembic F1X pres. Never tried the Demeters, Kerns, Aguilars, Traces (and oh so many more!), but I find the Warwick to be quite a bit more flexible than the Alembic. It's capable of nice, shimmery clean sounds, old school, and very modern sounds with a minimum of fuss and tweaking. It's downside: very low output, of all things!

I'm not sure, but I think the Ampeg SVP-BSP is solid-state. It doesn't seem to get much good press, but I've had very good luck with mine. Every gig is a toss-up between the two Ampegs.

Good luck... so many preamps, so little $!!

6. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    LowRanger,

Since you mentioned the EBS 1V2: I've heard that they're great, but that the active eq takes a little getting used to. Last time I asked, others on this forum owned the Fafner amp, but not this preamp. No dealers in my area either.

How does it's sound compare to the SVP or any others you've mentioned or tried?

I missed out on a demo model at super-low price from r2music. The salesman said the 1V2 is "all that", but then he's the store owner and EBS distributor.

Of those you said you haven't tried, I think the Aguilar 680 sounds the best - at a price. The Demeter V- whatever is nice too, but not so flexible. I haven't been able to try the H series yet.

Bob