Tube pre's and tube amps together?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Happy MurphDay, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    A just have a question regarding tube pres and tube amps, how do they sound together?, I heard that the read purity dosnt sound good through a tube amp, do any of you guys have sucsess with this?
    I know the aggie combo works great together, for instance, like a demeter or mesa tube power amp, would a SS pre work better(hard to describe "better", the over all sound) than a tube pre?
  2. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Nothing wrong with a tube pre + tube power amp -- that's what an SVT/Boogie 400+/etc is after all, just in one unit. I've run my Kern with a Boogie M-180 and it sounded tre-friggin-mendous. No reason why a Read Purity would be an exception.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    no idea why anyone would think something wouldnt sound good thru a tube power amp
    none at all
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If a preamp (tube or otherwise) sounds good through an SS amp but not through a tube amp, the problem is probably with the tube amp.
  5. i´ve run an EBS-1 (ss) through my V4BH and it did sound really good.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i for one.

e.g. tried my Sad V5 thru my DB680 thru a 728 thru a pair of GS112's, and tho at first blush, i nearly flipped at the tubey goodness, after a while, i actually preferred the tighter punch of my Stewart 1.2.

go figure. :meh:

7. I think I'd have to second that. I have the DB680 and fortunately for me, I've got the funds to buy about any power source I could want. I also tried the 728 and found it a bit...well, mushy. The Stewart was loud, light and gave me just what I wanted from the I bought two; one for each cabinet. If weight were not an issue (at all), I'd probably go with a Crown K2...but that got sold because of the weight issue!
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    funny you should mention that.........
    i like my stewart 2.1 and i agree it's tighter
    i guess its like dating a ripped supermodel type - sometimes those voluptuous chicks start lookin pretty good :cool:
  9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I use a tube preamp (BassTriaxis) with a tube power amp (Strategy 500), and they seem to work well together for my tastes. Tubes tend to colour your sound, and can be slower on transient response than a SS counterpart, but for those who dig that kind of thing, it's cool. I personally have a hard time getting into the all SS thing; it's too cold and brittle for my tastes. My two SS amps at least have a few tubes in there in the preamp section.