1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tube Pres

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by unclejam, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Hey I am on the Journey for a tube pre.

Where do I start? recommendations? a nice EQ Section would be great too idk i just want a warm phat sound bu i cant afford a full tube head:help:

2. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    There's lots of good ones (collect them all!), Seriously, if you keep your eyes open (craigs/pawnshops/TB) you can find some great lower priced stuff for cheap; Groove Tubes, Tubeworks... The Tubeworks single space rack guitar pre's are very good for bass, cheap too. I bought an Alembic F2B at a music store 10 years ago for $185 (should have kept that one). I had my local tech build me a B15N preamp, it's great. If you can find the right tech, custom build stuff can be affordable.

3. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    I have the Art Tube Pre MP and it's amazing for 30$. It doesn't have an EQ though. The warm phat sound however is definitely there.

4. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    DW Fearn gets not a mention round here, why! its the most fabulous
    quality gear with the biggest rep in my industry.
    The perfect cure for tube pre GAS, has got to be this beauty:
    http://www.dwfearn.com/vt-15_channel.html
    :ninja:

5. In Absentia

In Absentia

Jul 5, 2008
    Big fan of the Demeter stuff, but it is more hi-fi than anything. Still, you can't go wrong with one of their preamps.

6. Changles

Changles

Aug 29, 2008
    Harrogate, UK
    the hartke heads have tube pre amps and are low price!

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    +1. Lots of all tube and tube / SS hybrids to choose from...Peavey, Alembic, SWR, Ampeg, etc. How much do you plan on spending?

Riis

8. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Yep, I'm liking my Demeter HBP-1 very well too -- and it certainly has a ton of EQ available.

Sometimes, I'll just use the front-end of the HBP, which is [basically] the same as the Demeter VTBP-201s. Plenty of EQ for my needs. The VTBP typically costs a bit less than the HBP, and the VTBP has a Jensen output XFMR, which the base model HBP does not.

Been having pretty good results from the B-MaxT as well....but it's no Demeter by a long shot!

dcr

9. hentor

hentor

Jan 2, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I have a Trace Elliot V-Type preamp. Warm tone, simple EQ with options to put it before or after the DI...

Not in production anymore of course but I have seen a few on the used market.

10. looks expensive. like i could get a full tube head before i got that expensive
    hmm... What do yall recommend for funk jazz rock n soul?

11. el bumpo

12. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I've heard a couple of positive experiences with those Art Tube pre's. That could be a really simple solution in case you can't come up with something else specifically for bass. I tripped over an Ampeg BSP preamp a couple of years back and despite the super-simple 3-band eq on the clean channel, the tone was just plush and I've found that I can do a whole lot of patching with the second OD channel blended in on demand. I still see their SVP-CL and SVP-Pro preamps around, too.

If you want to look at a head with a tube pre, I'd say you'd be smart to look for a Genz-Benz and not necessarily even a super powerful option. I tried one of their smaller heads a while back (400 watts?) and the tone that I could get with that rig made me feel... special! That head was my personal "one that got away" - wish I'd given it a home at the time.

13. 350 max with a few things thrown in

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you're looking for the tube amp sound, without ponying up for an all tube head, why not a "tubey" hybrid head. Same end result, since you'd be using a solid state poweramp either way.

15. when i get done with the rig im gonna be running a stereo bi-amped maybe even tri-amped rig for this bass drums and keys project im working on :)

16. galore

galore

May 10, 2006
    EU
    Aguilar db680 is excellent!

17. mr.redpants

mr.redpants

Feb 6, 2002
    Philly
    do a search - I love my Read Purity and TD100

18. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    Demeter VTBP-201s rocks. My db750 is only used as poweramp right now because of the Demeter.

19. My ADA MB-1 still kicks serious @ss, got a truckload of EQ possibilities which are all midi-controlable. Also very affordable if you can find one.

20. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo