Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube question about my Bass 400+ (and Ruby tubes)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by natrab, Jun 27, 2004.

1. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I picked up a used 400+ a few days ago and the guy said it had a relatively new set of Ruby tubes. Now looking at the tubes, the four in the middle seem to be bigger than the ones on the side. The only difference between the Rubys in the middle and the other two sets of four on either side is that the outside sets say "Made in China" on them while the middle ones don't. Are these all the same tubes? Am I an idiot?

Just curious :eyebrow:

2. Well, I think Ruby tubes are re-labeled Chinenese tubes. So they might be the same thing. Either way you should get a set of JJ 6L6, and 12ax7's for that badboy. I know its expensive and you've just went on a crusade, conquering other peoples Mesas, lol....but if you want improve on the tone go with the JJ's.

3. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Don't jump the gun on the JJs. Mine may have had a short lifespan. I am replacing them with Sovtek 6L6WXT+ tubes. I'll post as soon as I get to play the amp. See my thread on Sovtel 6l6GCWXT+

4. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, I don't think I'm replacing these tubes any time soon. They sound incredible (plus it's more power than I've ever imagined could be in a bass amp). I was just curious as to why the middle ones were slightly bigger (and they don't get quite as bright as the outside ones).

I'm definately trying to hold off spending money, which is hard because I keep seeing buster bass combos coming up for sale :p

5. Rockbobmel

Have you tried a Buster..? I played some that were very mushy. I did play one in a band setting that I liked, but it was PA supported, and I couldn't tell if it would cut it alone.

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Eagerly awaiting your review :hyper:

7. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Well if the Buster is anything like the D-180, it owns. The D-180 has the most punch I've ever heard (though the transients are a little slow when played with a guitar and fast double picking).

Ever since I got it I can't get my guitar player's grubby little hands off it. He wants to put it in his rack as his clean channel (and I must admit, it sounds unreal for clean guitar). The combination of my D-180 for ultra clean and his Mark IV for the distortion channels would be pretty incredible. However, I set up the same thing except with the D-180 for distortion and bass 400+ for bass (running the D-180 through a Mesa 2x12 guitar cab and the bass 400+ through a 1x15), and it sounded incredible.

So far I've seen nothing bad from Mesa, and I imagine the Buster is awesome (I do know that Mesa amps require a lot of tweaking to get your sound. Ever knob and slider makes a world of difference in the tone. Maybe that's why the seemed mushy to you RockBobby).

Some local guy is selling the Buster 2x10 Wedge. I just think that'd be awesome for a practice/portable rig (for PA supported gigs especially).

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The Buster! is based off the D-180, but with some tweaks. The pre is a little tighter, and the power section is faster. I love mine.

A word advice, Nate: the Buster wedge is a pain in the ass to move. It sounds great, but it wasn't designed very well, methinks. It's one of the few ideas that Boogie has had that I didn't like. If you can get the straight version, you will be alot happier.

9. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    The other one was a buster 115 on ebay. However my Basis 2000 and 1x15 diesel is probably just as portable. A good reason for me to not spend any more money :p

10. Rockbobmel

It sounds like you got the itch. Get something totally different, hey? My guitar player keeps buying Strat like guitars with humbucking pups. I told him if you are going to have multiple guitars, get them as far apart as you can, not more copies of the same "virsatile" type.