Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube Question about my Traynor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Many of you know how much I love my YBA200, it's outstanding in many ways, size, tone, power etc. But I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and an issue that has bothered me since I bought the amp has really been annoying me and that is this. It seems a little thin. Honestly, it seems thin to me. It's like there's too much treble and high mids that cannot be EQ's out without it sounding mushy and unresponsive. Would different tubes, pre or power, negate this high end thinness in any way? I really like the solid state tones I get from my GK and Peavey BAM, but I love the warmth tubes give me and the different sound I get from them. I also like having a little dirty overdrive in my tone and the tubes afford me this easily and are fairly pleasant but I've found I much prefer my power amp tubes overdriven, it seems to be a much more powerful, heavier distortion. So... should I replace the tubes in this amp and hope for the best or would I be better off selling this amp, which was my intent when I bought it to play it, decide if I like tube amps and then sell it for an SVT or 400+? I just crave a heftier sound with bigger lows, more midrange and less high end. I play it through both a YBX1510, which I'm selling due to downsizing issues, and an Avatar B410 Delta that I love. Any help/thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and happy holidays!

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    When I first checked out this amp back in the summer, I found the amp sounded very "thin" as well. I believe that I commented on this in the Yorkville YBA-200 thread. I was actually very disappointed in the lack of good bottom end tone from this amp.

I can tell you it's not your power tubes (Sovtek 6550WE). I just took a look at the Yorkville website where the YBA-200 specs state they are using Two 12AX7A and One 12AU7 preamp tubes. No brand name of pre-amp tubes is listed unless they are also Sovtek's.

Can you see what brand of pre-amp tubes are installed in the amp?

I'm sure that someone on the board will give you some tips on the best method to fatten up the sound of your amp. I suspect that will most likely require replacing the 3 preamp tubes with another manufacturers tubes or tube model equivilent.

Good luck
    TD
    :cool:

3. There is a TB member who is doing all the dirty work for tube subsitutes in the pre-amp stage. The 12AX7As are the culprit, more or less. I think he even changed the Power Tubes to KT88s. But he said changing the preamp tubes allows you to really drive the power section with fuller gain.

I think it is called "Tweaking YBA200" or something like that.

Edit and Addendum:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150395&highlight=Traynor+YBA

4. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Thanks guys, I've read Brent Norton's thread and posted in it myself and have certainly weighed his comments heavily. I know that to get real midrange from this amp I need to crank the gain high, Brent left it at 2-3 I leave it at 5 and boost the mids in the EQ section which works but it still seems to be just a little thin for me. Is there a specific brand of preamp tube which will fatten up the bottom more? I believe the pre tubes to be Sovtek 12AX7 and a Sovtek 12AU7 phase splitter, but the amp isn't in front of me. Who knows, maybe I'm trying to make it do something it's not designed for.

5. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I have no problems with my YBA200 and a "thin" sound. But of course I run it through an Ampeg 810. I also use it through an Ampeg SVT 210 and don't seem to notice a thin sound. Good luck with any tube replacements you might decide to make.

Dirk

6. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    It could simply be the type of tone I aim for which is heavy on the lows and mids, or maybe I'm just nuts who knows but I just know that to me it sounds thin, especially with the matching YBX cab which is mid shy. The B410 opens things up a bit and fills out the sound more, but still something is missing. And I'm just not sure what manner of tube would be my best bet to replace the stock Sovteks.

7. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    A lot of people mention JJ/tesla, I saw on www.tubedepot.com like 4 different Sovteks... what's the difference between all these models and what is hype and what is fact? I just don't know what I'm looking at to tell the truth and I certainly don't want to buy and try 5-6 times. Thanks guys.

8. It ried some Groove Tube 12ax7Rs insteasd of the sovtek and it made quite a diffrence. The GTs have a lot more bottom and sound darker than the sovteks.

9. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Interesting, I'm assuming you picked them up from GrooveTubes.com right? I'll look into those as well although I'm still weighing all options. I'm in no hurry, I'm not even gigging right now so I don't need it to smoke yet :)

10. No i picked them up from a local music store. Most shops should carry Groove Tubes, they are pretty common.

11. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I've heard that Tesla's would sound great in that amp, when I get mine that's prolly gonna be the first switch.

12. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Yeah, I was thinking about the Tesla's as well, another project that has to be scrapped until I get like 8 more paychecks :spit:

13. I use a 5751 in V1, a sovtek 12ax7lps in V2,and a 5814 in V3.
    The JJ 12ax7 has more BOTTOM than most 12ax7's ! :cool:

JJ

14. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Cool, thanks for the tip JJ:p , I appreciate it!

15. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA

Good to read you !!! I have not posted for a while here but still reading on the site.

You highly recommended me the new Yorkville Tube Amp, but after reading your post, you seem disappointed by the lack of low end. Any other comments about this Amp from your part ?
    I am in the search of what will be my last Amp !!!