Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tube Question . . .

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Can amps that use KT-88's use KT-90's ? i just noticed them today on tubedepot, and was curious :eyebrow:

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Yep, seems so. I've been poking around with this question along with the 100 series(similar looking/style as 90's). They look like they pop right in though maybe a bit taller & narrower(good & bad).

I'd love to give them a whirl but I need 6-8 of them...not a cheap test.

Seems not too many people have used or tried them yet.

Guess I gotta start makin' more phone calls...

~S~

PS: I figured all the "tube freaks" here would have chimed in by now, oh well...

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my assumption is modern production of tubes.... 6550 and KT88 are the same. My Sovtek KT88 are the same tube as the reissue Tung Sol 6550... the Electro Harmonix 6550 and KT88 are the same other than the label... etc etc etc

I've read the KT90 and KT100 are the same type/style/pin out/whatever... but anything I've read stated limited choices of venders and nothing spectacular from any of them.

(I've only read a few dozen websites I found chasing links via google though).

My head calls for 6550 and I have KT88 in it. I remember reading at one point that the early Boogie 400 had the sockets too close together to fit the KT88 style tube... don't know about the Ampeg, but I'm pretty sure it has better clearance.

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Thanks Jim! Always a pleasure to read about your "tube travels"!

My Hexa also has limited space for 88's, so I was wondering if there was a difference with the 6550-90/100 styles.

From what you say, there is no difference in the Sovtek 6550-88's?

how about the JJ's compared to Sovteks? The SED series seems to be a love/hate affair, I'm not too sure of their sound/grit either(though I've seen a few types).

cheers,
    ~S~

5. Yeah, i want to know how the JJ's and Socteks compaire too :D

Cheers, i wasnt sure, cus it looked a bit different, yet still had the same base it seemed, its just it was turfed in the 6550/KT88 section

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Thanks, You must know then that I am hardly a guru or expert or even that experienced with tubes... just a geek that spent a LOT of time reading and researching ;)

The Sovtek 6550 and KT88 are different. it's New Sensor's reissue "Tung Sol 6550" and the Sovtek KT88 that appear to be the same construction.... as well as the Electro Harmonix 6550 & KT88.

I cannot compare the JJ to Sovtek. I liked most I read on the JJ but my head had JJ KT88 loaded in it prior to me buying it and the owner didn't think they were the right match for it.

the holy grail bass amp tube seems to be the GE 6550.... they are the skinnier style. You might want to track down a few of them.

*waits for Psyco Bass Guy to get here for the REAL info*

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have two of these in my Twin Valve Combo, and I really like them in that amp. I have four more that I am trying to decide between my DB 359 and Quatra Valve as to who gets them! :p

I'm sure he'll set us straight, but PSB told me that he actually prefers Sovtek KT-88's to the GE 6550A's in his Trace tube amps...

Tom.

8. fair enough, just thought id tag that onto the thread, being i may need to get new tubes for my SVT, and im not getting the NOS Sylvania 6550A's that are currently in there, should i have to replace anything, mainly because the only places ive seen them they are $250+ per pair!!

9. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

May be relevent, dunno....

My new YBA 200 came loaded with Sovtek 6550's. The amp did not like any 440 notes, and it played them at significantly less volume. Of course this was unacceptable.

I popped in a new set of JJ KT-88's, which solved the 440 problem wonderfully. However, with the JJ's I'm hearing a faint metallic "tinkling" background noise with certain basses, but not all.

Anyway, the little 'tinkling' noise is the lesser (much lesser) of the two evils. The JJ's seem more articulate than the Sovteks, at least in my Traynor.

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I've got Ruby 88's in my V-8. I believe they're JJ's originally & I've heard a bit of "tinkling" microphonics when I use a cab with a tweeter(Accu 2x10). Otherwise they sound nice.

My Hexa has Sovtek 6550's which I haven't gave a good run in with yet...long story...

I'm looking at the EH KT90's right now. I wish I had more info on them but I may just take a shot in the dark...

~S~

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    For you guys with the "tinkling" noises (please, please, no bodily function-related jokes!), have you tried either mounting your head in a shockmount rack or isolating the head from the cab with an Auralex Gramma or similar device? I would get this kind of a sound coming from my tweeters when I would sit my head right on top of the head, but with either a Gramma or (pereferably) a shockmount rack, this problem is either greatly reduced or completely eliminated.

Tom.

12. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...hmmm, well, I had the head & cab on my bed next to each other not on top(wonder if they would've mated & made a combo!)...anyways, I'll move them farther apart, I do play semi-cranked(the amp, not me)...

cheers,
    ~S~

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I would ask if you were in the bed, too, but I don't even want to go there... :rollno::eyebrow:;)

14. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...ohhhh, it was mighty tempting...LOL!

~S~

15. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I'm very happy with the EH 6550's in my classic and they're not an expensive tube. FWIW a guitar playing friend of mine who is a repair tech by day swears by them.

16. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Well, I just plugged some JJ88's in my Hexa...MAN, that this LOUD! Sounds very nice too. The eq is very simple & the tubes in the pre section definetly have a major effect on the overall sound. Now I gotta go get me some 90's & get a bias mod...

cheers,
    ~S~

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It sounds like you got it working, eh? Nice!

Tom.

18. Yes and no. Yes, they'll work electrically, BUT they're too tall and won't fit inside any of the SVT II's or II Pro's (or the Trace amps either). It's a shame, because they can really make a IIPro sound great. If you have to retube your SVT II, get Sovtek or EH; they're good tubes, and they're cheap compared to their competition. Make sure they've got a warranty, though. It sounds like Templar had a SERIOUSLY unmatched set and that can happen even if they are supposed to be matched.

MOST KT100's are just Chinese KT88's (good tubes themselves) , but there are some tubes sold under the Golden Dragon label as KT99's that are neither KT88's(beam tetrode) or KT90's (true pentode). They look like a fatter KT90. I've also seen them sold as KT110's.

19. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    PBG,

How much taller are the 90's than the 88's? As far as fitting them, my V-8 has another 2-3" of clearance for tubes. My Hexa is a bit tighter so I guess that's out.

How do you compare the EH to Ei brand of 90's?

Also, how much difference is a Sovtek 6550 from a Sovtek 88 in performance/sound?

thanks,
    ~S~

20. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    What's Lord Valves site? I've e-mailed him & Idon't think he received it...

thanks,
    ~S~