1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tube Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dwc3690, Mar 29, 2009.

1. What is the difference between a short plate and a long plate tube?

Thanks,
    Dan C.

2. dave_kts

dave_kts

Jan 17, 2008
    short plates are known to be more durable, less prone to microphonics (amp squealing or ringing), but a few will say that they dont have as good of a response, or sound quality. If you buy an amp new, it'll have short plate tubes in it because they are reliable. Me? I'll take the chance and run long plate tubes, i've done some experimenting and find more of what i want in LP's. Some tubes i tried did have a tendancy to start ringing at really high gain, either back down, or try something else.
    tube rolling is fun. buy a few and try.

3. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    A long plate tube has generally higher gain, but may also be more prone to microphonics (acoustic feedback) than a short plate tube.:ninja:

4. I've tried a long plate ECC83 (JJ, think it was called an ECC83-S) in my SVT and swapping between that and the regular JJ ECC83, didn't notice a difference to be honest. I did try it in my guitar amp, and noticed a subtle (but pleasant) difference, so it resides there now.

I've also heard about these things not handling vibrations as well because of the larger internal structure, but have never had first hand experience.