Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tube recommendations for Fender Bassman 300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Captain_joe6, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Hey All,

I'm looking to replace the tubes in my my Bassman 300 Pro for something that will be as clear and uncolored as possible (for a tube setup, at least), something smooth and clear, but generally warm and not overdriven at all, something that will preserve all the intrinsic tone comming out of my fretless J with passive Antiquity 2's.

Whadda ya think?

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Due to recent developments, I am going to say just about anything that isn't owned by New Sensor (Sovtek, EH, etc.).

If you do go that route, I'd highly reccomend buying from an established TUBE DEALER, and having your tech test EVERY connection and pin for accurate wiring.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    JJs give my 400+ a lot of clean headroom, but I have heard that Sovtek KT-88s are the way to go with bigger tube heads.

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    See my previous post, or my other thread involving NS/Sovtek. Wanna buy a $2000 pile of smoked electronics? Neither did I.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I love clean tube warmth with my fretless 6... Clear, Articulate, 3 Dimensional, HiFi :bassist:

I swear by my Sovtek KT88 power tubes and mix of JAN, Electro-Harmonix & JJ preamp and driver tubes.

www.tubedepot.com hooked me up with tested & matched tubes at a great price.

6. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
  7. now, just out of twisted curiosity and because of a couple things I've read about them, would it be feasible to replace the 12AX7's with 5751's? Would I lose too much in the way of volume? I don't need it to be deafening, it's only getting medium-small venue use and does the job nicely, i'm just not getting as smooth and round a sound out of it as I'd like.

8. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Mine has old US made preamp tubes, and 1 JJ ecc83, plus Svetlana (older, "real" Svetlana) 6550C power tubes. I was very surprised how clean and uncolored it seemed for a tube head, even at pretty high volumes.

9. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I have 5751's in my 1200S and it rounded the sound off a bit but overall made it sound reall nice.

10. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    It Is important to note that only people with experience with your particular piece of gear can really be of help. A tube by itself does not have a particular sound.. Tubes only react with the components they are installed into. Some tubes might work/sound better with some amps than others. No matter how expensive or cheap a tube is it is not possible to know how it will sound until you try it.

11. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Captain,

I just changed all the preamp tubes on my SUNN 300T ( Fender Pro 300 ) for JJ\Tesla tubes ECC 81 and ECC 83S.

I immediately found better clean headroom and output volume. The overdriven Tone is a tiny bit more defined and I have more warmth from the rig than ever. I have not chnged the power amp tubes yet but would do so with KT88's for sure to replace the original Groove Tubes that are in the head at this moment.