Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tube replacement advice please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Berten, May 7, 2003.

1. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    Hello

I have a hartke 3500-head and the preamp tube needs to be replaced. I would like a more growly rocksound from my amp, so which tube should i get?
    And what will it cost??

Thanks a lot

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Grab any military grade 5751, RCA, Sylvania, etc. You can find them on Ebay for around $10-15. They are lower gain than the 12ax7, and will give you more growl and punch as opposed to distortion, if that's what you're looking for.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    most likely, it came with a generic Sovtek tube. but try a plain, simple Electro Harmonix 12AX7. tho from the same Russian built family, they're chosen from the litter for a more gainy, overdriven sound. might give you that hint of aggression.

5751's in my experience, give you that punch the added headroom affords you. dunno if they're more growly.

btw, if you're wary of buying tubes from ebay like i am, try www.tubestore.com or www.kcanostubes.com. mike at KCA is top notch.

4. Get a Mullard or an Amperex 12AX7 (ECC83) should be able to find one for about $50.00 US.

5. Yes, if it is an NOS 12AX7 like a Mullard, Telefunken, or an Amperex Bugle Boy. Are they worth that much, well that is hard to say. Do they sound better that any of the current production 12AX7's definately. Although I don't think that a single tube in preamp will make that much difference. I had an ampeg svt III pro which has 3 tubes in the pre and one 12AX7 and one 12AU7 driving a mosfet power amp which I swapped out the sovtek 12AX7WA's for US NOS GE 12AX7's and it didn't make that much difference at all. As long as it doesn't squeel its a good tube. I don't even know why they bother. If it was all solid state it would still sound the same. It is the drive and output tubes that really give you that tube sound.

6. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    If you are doing lots of studio work, a better preamp tube may be worthwhile. For live situations, it will hardly be noticeable, so don't spend a lot of money for a tube that can be bought for $10 or less.

JD

7. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    Thanks a lot to everyone who answered!!

8. I second that.