Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tube replacement in buster bass200 matched pairs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groovking, Mar 4, 2001.

1. on a buster bass the output tubes are all inlline. when you replace a matched set of output tubes i assume those would be each set of two tubes next to each other in the row of six tubes. am i right? the reason i want to do this is becaiuse i get a small sizzle noise when amp is on and the volume level is set fairly high on the preamp and the master. this one does and its making me crazy. i may retube it today, but ill wait to hear some responses.

2. Sounds right to me, I checked the owners manual, but the chart does not give that info......

3. I'd check with Mesa before I went ahead and did that. A common circuit topology for tube power amps is to have the pairs matched from the ends to the center, ie. 1 and 6, 2 and 5, 3 and 4. The SVT is like that as well as most other tube power amps I've seen. I don't know if Mesa does that or not, so see a licensed tech or contact them. It's pretty important for the push-pull pairs to be matched!

4. spacegoat, thanks, i never thought of that. i guess the stupid question is the one you dont ask! you may have saved my amps life! ill check with mesa on monday.......

christos>>>>>>do you get a slight buzz when the amp is on and plugged into your passive bass, when the preamp is overdriven and or when the master volume is up high and you not playing with strings muted. i mean slight , but slight enough not to want to mike the amp?

5. Sorry no buzz'n here, can it be your pu's are hot? or are they grabb'n some lights or something.....
    By the way Spacegoat made a good point....When I checked the manual, it did not say, but what you said seemed logical, however all amps are different.....

By the way, I was playing with 2 guitars, and a drummer today....both guitars were using 4x12's each, and my little Buster 200 15" combo cut through at only 3.5 on the master dial.....Everyone was truly impressed......

6. it must be picking up something. its ever so slight ......at levels i wouldnt be playing at.....there is a neighbor of mine with a ham radio and i pick up his voice occasionally, actually this morning.......well i just fired it up and put both volumes to 3/4 full and w strings muted i found an awkward position in which i got no static....this is very minor but its there, its not quite as loud as the grass growing in the backyard. probably a power source near me in my kookoo room.......

christos. if your amp was set to the same settings.....3(oclock) 10 10 1 and 3 bass muted, im sure youll hear something...ie horn hiss or something. if your eyes were closed and you were blindfolded and your ear was up to the speaker you say you hear nothing and wouldnt be able to tell if it were on. dont get me wrong, i just want to be clear on what you consider no noise......let me know....rock on! i do think its a great amp with plenty of tone and balls and i love it, plus its easier to lug around than my other rig.

7. I think there is a little confusion here.....I mean no unusual buzz......But you can mic it without a problem, I prefer direct though....When I said 3.5 I meant on scale 1-10, which would make it about 10 o'clock on the dial.....My volume at 12 o'clock, treble at 12 o'clock Mid at about 9 o'clock, Bass between 2-3 o'clock, master 10-11 o'clock.......eq. out......By the way I found this for you.....

Please direct product inquiries and Tech support questions to the factory in Petaluma :

We are open 9:00am-5:00 pm Pacific Time,
    Monday through Thursday.

Phone 707-778-6565
    FAX 707-765-1503

Mesa/Boogie,
    1317 Ross St.
    Petaluma, California
    94954 USA

8. christos......please dont take offense , i just wanted to compare with someone who has the same amp. you right , no unusual noise.......and, haha, i do know the address and phone no. to mesa, my curiousity arose when my 400+ picks up less noise than the buster side by side, hope were still friends, no offense taken nor intended , you did help answer my question.....thanks>>>>

9. There was no offense taken at all......That is the problem with talking online, some things when wriiten out sound much different than when said...Please don't think I was being standoffish or think that I was offended....

By the way I just saw what I copied from the website, I meant to just put the address and tele number, unfortunately I got the whole ad....meaning the please direct product inquiries part....:D sorry.....

10. cool , im glad to hear that,....cause you da mann! hey im sittin next to my amp with your settings plugged into an idle bass , muted and it sounds acceptable but it is quiter when i move around abit. now when its idle, the bass, nad all jazz knobs turned up i get the acceptable horn hiss type sound, when i turn the pre up it does give a light buzz...........DER i just figured out that the rheostat on my cieling light in the patio off the room in playing in was the culprit. dand rheostats!! i shut it off and the noise went away, good thing! it would have driven me crazy to hear a buzz, but its a short drive!! thanks ps did you try new tubes yet, i ve got a set of jan phillips 12ax7wa preamp, nos 1976, and a full set of new svet 454 6L6s, (backups for my other rig) mmmmmmmm,.....

11. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    ...did anyone ever accomplish the deed and replace those Buster! tubes? Were the pairs "adjacent" or the "1-6, 2-5, 3-4" config?

12. Deepkick

Deepkick

Feb 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    * BUMP *