Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tube replacement: when?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grinx, Apr 8, 2003.

1. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    i have an alembic f1x preamp about 7-8 years old. it has the factory tube in it, with at least 500-1000 hours time.

it sounds fine to me. everyone seems to say replace the tubes every year.

what do you all say?

/thanks

2. Tube replacement is one of the biggest loads of crap going. You replace tubes when they die or if you don't like the tone; that's it.

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    yeah screw that. until they're badly microphonic (tap and get a tone) why bother?

4. Mine is about the same age as yours. I can't tell any difference in tone since it was new either. It is my understanding that pre-amp tubes last a long long time. If it ain't broke, (well, you know the rest) jmho

5. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    I agree with all here, but it wouldn't hurt to have a spare tube or two in case of "show blow". Nothing worse then being stuck on stage without an working amp!

6. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    i carry a spare tube with me

but i don't have the mini Torx head wrench that loosens the bolts that hold the chassis together

7. And that tube is about as likely to "blow" as the preamp chassis is to physically explode and kill everyone onstage. Tubes are NOT light bulbs nor do they behave similarly, contrary to POPULAR misconception.

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    that happened to me just the other day!! it's amazing how fragile those chassis are - that's why I prefer a Solid State chassis.