Tube Replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BlackSpeech, Nov 20, 2004.

1. BlackSpeech

Nov 20, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I need to replace the tubes in my Bassman 300, any advice on the best/cheapest tube supplier? This being my first tube amp, any important suggestions on the whole field will be much appreciated.
  2. Why?
  3. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I like dealing with Christian @ so far (only a short time)

He is very quick to answer questions & his prices compare to other sources I've checked out.
  5. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Try I'm planning to order some preamp tubes from the guy when I get around to it. I've talked to him on the phone and he seemed helpful.
  6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    "Which" tubes? "All" the tubes? :)
  7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I've bought a lot of tubes from Bob at, communicated with him through email and on the phone, He's great to deal with and seems to know his stuff. I don't know much about tubes, I've bought a bunch of used amps that came with rattly or falling apart tubes. Great service, super fast. Other places I tried, the salesman just choked when I asked for a matched octet of 6550's, got them from Eurotubes right away.
  8. BlackSpeech

Nov 20, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm pretty sure that all of the tubes are blown- on the Bassman 300 there are indicator lights behind the tubes, (red=bad/green=good) which tell you the status of your tubage, or so I was told.
  9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The chances of all the tubes blowing at once are practically nil. More likely there's a problem in the power supply, or the indicator system. Sounds like time for a visit to the tech. :)
  10. yumyum1667

Nov 25, 2004
    Try replacing the fuses first and see what happens.

I have the Sunn 300T (same amp as yours) and had the same problem.

It was not the power tubes giving the problem but I replaced them anyway.

You will also need to get the amp rebaised.
  11. I third eurotubes for excellent knowledge and service - and he will bias the tubes according to your amp specs before he sends them.