1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tube rolling 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Jan 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I couldn't wait to get home today for some tube rolling. I only tried V-1.

1st was a Mullard IEC 12AX7. I was hoping to get blown away but I was not. While it sounded rich and had good low end, the highs were too laid back.

2nd was a Telefunken ECC83 that I robbed from an old Fisher integrated amp. Same results.

3rd was a Sylvania 12AX7 long gray plate. Sounded better than the rest in highs but a little microphonic.

4th was a GE Jan 5751. Kinda lack luster, lower gain.

5th Back in where it came from JJ ECC83S short plate. Sounds rich AND good high end.

I was thinking about the JJ EC803S long plate but heard they were more susceptible to microphonics.

2. I should probably try some different preamp tubes in my D-180. Not even sure what most them are, actually.

My guitar amp has a JJ EC83S short plate in both V1 and V2 positions.

3. ERicks

ERicks

Feb 22, 2014
    I think my D180 has some JJs in it for the past few years now-but it's hard to note tangible differences for me as the preamp tubes were replaced along with the filter caps, so the amp didn't sound right when it went into the shop to begin with! Sounds pretty great with the JJs either way though.

Sartori likes this.
  4. Rockbobmel

I just found a Tung-Sol reissue and put that in. While it sounded good, not as good as the JJs. They are staying in. Put the cover back on. That's it!

Sartori likes this.
  5. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    I did a bunch of tube rolling in my 400+ as well. Believe it or not the cheap Chinese tubes sounded the best IMOP. Mine is one of the earlier 400+ ( 7 position eq ), I believe that Mesa Built the preamp in the 400+ around the Chinese 12ax7 because that's what was available at that time.

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I think I have Tung Sol RI in V1 and JJ83's in rest.

7. You just can't go wrong with JJ's. Can't imagine spending the dosh on some daughter after NOS Mullards and what not to gain anything tangible

8. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I liked mine with JJ's and had em in there for many years. But when I put in all 4 original GE's I haven't looked back, that is the best that amp has sounded.

9. Rockbobmel

Can you elaborate?

10. Rockbobmel

Are they JJ ECC83"S"? If not, Try them across the board.

11. Rockbobmel

GE 12AX7A
    NOS-12AX7-GE
    nos-12ax7-ge.
    These tubes are the same as the JAN GE 12AX7WA, but were sold to distributors for general public consumption. They are a great sounding US made tube that will improve the sound of any Hi-Fi or musical instrument amplifier.

I have some JAN GE 5751 which are = 12AY7 and they don't really sound like much..

12. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Mine are heavier print logo GE 12AX7's, not 5751.

I don't know how to elaborate more other than the tone is just sweeter with them in there. The high end when playing either chords or popping just "sings" and sounds better.

13. Rockbobmel

Mine is the 7 band Graphic also.

14. I thought the earlier ones had 6 band graphic EQs like the D-180 and 400.

15. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yes, the first year or two of 400+ had a 6-band graphic eq.

Sartori likes this.
  16. Anyone tried the Tung Sol 7581A reissues in the power section?

17. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    Any tube experts on here? I did some tube rolling on my newer 400+ and removed the original Mesa Tubes and replace v1 with a EC 83 Telefunken V2 and V3 with Tung Sols and tried two different in V4 the Driver tube. A EC82 JJ and a EC82 Bugle boy.Can some one tell me why when I powered up the amp with the Bugle Boy in V4 the base of the tube put out a very bright lite when first starting then dimmed but did not do this with the JJ in its place? By the way I thought the 400+ sounded best to me with the JJ .

18. I assume you mean ECC82 and ECC83?

19. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    Yes Euro equal to 12AU7 and 12AX7

20. foderaman

foderaman

Jun 14, 2005
    Highland.IL
    Did a search and found this is common with Euro tubes and nothing to worry about.